Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Colorado -> Hello from Colorado

Topic: Hello from Colorado (15 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Hello from Colorado (15 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
Robert D Seals
Score: 19
Welcome all from Colorado!
5/22/2012 7:56 PM report abuse
CINDY7
Score: 2
Come on Colorado. I can't be the only person in Colorado that has decided to raise chickens. I have ordered 30 chicks that should arrive the end of September. My reasons are numerous. I have 5 of my 7 grandchildren entering this adventure with me. This will be a great opportunity to learn. Plus, i want to improve the quality of the food we consume. We are starting with chicks. The excitement is mounting each day closer to baby chick day.
9/18/2014 9:26 PM report abuse

JANIS S
Score: 3
TALKEETNA, AK
1st time Chicken Mom .... 26 mixed heavy breeds. Also have 1 King Charles and 2 Pitbulls that are fascinated with them.
I'm not from Co. I do share your excitement, we got ours to share with the grandchildren too...such fun watching the interaction....the kids named the chicks, and even helped us build the chick yard.
Post edited by JANIS S 9/20/2014 6:34 PM
9/19/2014 3:52 PM report abuse
CINDY7
How old are your grandchildren? Mine are 7 to 11. We converted a horse stall in my barn into a coop and they each painted the names they plan to give the chick on the walls. The anticipation is building as we complete each of our projects in preparation of their arrival. This weekend we are working on the run. We live in a forested area outside of Colorado Springs, so we will need to protect them from predators.
9/19/2014 6:51 PM report abuse
KEVIN26
Score: 0
Chicken popularity is booming in Denver, especially in the suburbs at the outer edges of town. I have a gold and a black star, a barred plymouth rock, and a gold-laced wyndotte. The local libraries can't keep enough chicken books on the shelf, and the local feed and livestock stores can't keep chicks of any kind for many days. Coops and gardens are popping up all over the place, but thank God that no roosters are allowed. You are not alone.
9/28/2014 10:03 PM report abuse
CASSANDRAB
I'm here in the Western Slope side and my young son and I are super excited for our 16 babies to arrive this week!
9/29/2014 1:33 PM report abuse
CINDY7
We received 32 chicks almost a month ago. All are thriving and so much fun. It is amazing how quickly the grow. The grandchildren have them all named, I just have to work at remembering them.
10/26/2014 6:01 PM report abuse
STEVEN15
Score: 4
We are in Co too. We live in the far southeast part of the state. Grew up with chickens on the farm but like most farms got away from them. We have them off and on now. It has been about 3 years since we had them as predators got all we had. Took some time to decide to get back into chickens. Grew up in a big family . My parents would buy 700 chicks most years. They even produced eggs for a hatchery for a time.

The grandkids spurred this latest foray into chickens.
3/13/2015 9:23 AM report abuse
CINDY7
We are so excited that all 32 of our chickens are thriving. The hens are now laying a beautiful array or colors. We are getting blue, green, sage, chocolate brown, light brown, white, and some eggs that look almost pink. The grandchildren love collecting the eggs every chance the get. We did end up with 7 roosters. It was playing havoc on the hens backs and they were losing feathers with so many roosters in the hen house. I made chicken saddles that are awesome. But, I do need to re-home at least 5 of the guys.
3/14/2015 6:06 PM report abuse
DENNISJ
Our chickens are Rhode Island & Red Stars. They will be a year old in April & May. We got them from Murray McMurray. The grandkids is why we got them too. We have 14 in the incubator now. So they can watch them hatch. Our hens are being rode too... Too many roosters. What is the saddle you have made?
3/19/2015 12:13 PM report abuse
STEVEN15
Dennis I had heard about saddles but never seen them. Did a search and found a website called hensaver. Interesting , but instead of paying $6 - 12 I would cull down to 1 or 2 roosters depending on the number of hens.

Cindy, we are a long way from getting eggs but the kids love the chicks. My great nephew is visiting his grandpa, my brother , and is trying to get here evry chance he can.
3/26/2015 12:03 AM report abuse
DENNISJ
Yes that was interesting we do have 22 hens left and 3 roosters. 2 were killed by the continual riding and then the cannibalism it creates with other hens. Will probably just remove another rooster. It says 1 rooster for 8-12 hens. But it is a challenge. Thanks for the info.
3/27/2015 2:33 PM report abuse
FLOYDW
Score: 9
Rooster aggression can be bad in your hens. I would pen them up until you can re home them our think about putting them in the freezer, but feed them for a couple of weeks before, it will tender the meat,
One thing I think is great about the kids learning about chicks is the connection they will learn with their food, if they learn where it comes from it will teach them so much, they will never forget gathering the eggs,
I did the same with my neice and nephews they are in their twenties and still talk about the chickens, milking the goats and the trip to the local Auction Barn to buy the calf.
3/30/2015 1:41 AM report abuse
ALEX10
Score: 1
Mtn grown chickens here, we have been raising meat and eggs in the high country for the last 3 years, pastured living at 8400 feet! We have a mixed laying flock and mostly cornish hens for meat, some red rangers may be on our radar but for now the whites do ok.

http://carabranch.com
5/27/2017 2:38 PM report abuse
STEVEN15
Alex we are in Co but our altitude is about 35000. I had forgotten about this but got an email you had responded. Our hens are 2 years old now. The new wore off mostly for the grandkids. They still like to gather eggs now and then. Lost quite a few in 1 night to coyotes. I didn't get home until a couple hours after dark to close the pen. Then we were losing them during the day. Came home about 10 am and 2 coyotes were right there. 30/06ed one and now have gone quite a while without losing any. Just about ready to quit them. Have 3 ruptured discs and have recently suffered a big setback with that.
5/27/2017 8:42 PM report abuse