Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Coops -> Protection

Topic: Protection (20 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Protection (20 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
Robert D Seals
Score: 19
What's the best way to keep fox and coyotes out of the pen?
5/25/2012 9:20 AM report abuse
Amylu
Score: 3
We have built a pen out of kennel wire and put shading material over it. Our coop is made from the master bedroom of an old trailer house that was junked out. It is up off the ground a few feet and we have motion lights mounted around. So far so good. This is the second batch of chickens we have had in it.
6/3/2012 10:25 PM report abuse
Robert D Seals
Thanks! I'm going to try a solar electric fence. I'll keep you updated!
6/4/2012 9:04 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Another option would be to set up a Nite Guard which provides a safe, solar-powered "flash of danger" that will repel all night animals in order to keep your chickens safe.
Post edited by McMurray Hatchery 6/7/2012 3:19 PM
6/5/2012 3:46 PM report abuse
ROBINE
Score: 4
When I first got chicks in 2007 I built a post and beam hen house with a concrete floor, HardiePanel walls (cement board) with strawbale infill, and a tin roof. The coop fence is 6' woven wire with poultry netting over the bottom 2' and folded over onto the ground another 2'. A fortress, yes?
Then last summer...bears. I went out one morning to find that a bear had climbed up onto a 500 gallon cistern, gotten on to the roof (dents in the roofing tin), slid down the porch roof, broken out a window and slaughtered every single hen.
So I put up the Nite Guard lights mentioned above, and have been working on running electric wired at the top and bottom of the fence. I'm having trouble getting the fence to work. My new pullets aren't old enough to be let out yet, and so far no attempts to break in, but I'm nervously holding my breath and hoping to get the wire working soon. Beyond that, I don't know what to do to protect them.
6/21/2012 4:25 PM report abuse

Charity Becker
Score: 7
Author and artist from Washington state. http://www.optycal.com
We're having raccoon issues! We've modified the coop and yard so many times it makes my head spin just thinking about it. We finally sprayed some repellent around the area, but man does it STINK! I wish we had a better way to keep our chickens safe. Will be getting a big dog soon to patrol the property!
6/21/2012 4:29 PM report abuse
Robert D Seals
Well, I thought I had done everything right. Fence buried, fence over the top and electric fence on the bottom. Then I put my chicks out too soon. A fox came scared the chicks (they ran through the fence and into the yard) and the fox got them all. I was so discouraged.
6/21/2012 4:29 PM report abuse

Charity Becker
Author and artist from Washington state. http://www.optycal.com
Oh no, Robert! I'm so sorry =(

We have chicks coming in early July (from McMurray, of course) and I'm terrified we're going to lose some babies when we put them out in the yard. We're down to three from our original 10. All 'coon attacks. We wanted the flock to be free range (we have 7 acres) but the 'coons sit in the woods and just wait for the chickens to come pecking. Even in daylight!

This stuff we sprayed is supposed to repel all kinds of critters, and I think fox and coyotes are on the list.
6/21/2012 4:36 PM report abuse
KYLES
Score: 2
I have shot several coons in preparation for putting the chicks out in the coop. Right now they are still in a box in the house but will be going out in a day or two. Last night I dumped there old bedding on the flower garden and something was drawn in enough to rip up the garden. The guy next door has said he will put some live traps out by the coop if he can have the coons to train his coon dogs, man I hope I don't have problems.
6/22/2012 6:15 AM report abuse
Allen Finch
redbarnwoodworking@yahoo.com
RIDGEVILLE, IN
Our dog has killed at least one coon and keeps away most of the other varmits. of course i think he is only protecting "his" dinner. I built a 12x12 coup up on stilts out of white oak. put hardware cloth around the windows and have a metal roof. if the dog doesnt stop them my son is a pretty good shot. check with your local game warden about nusiance animals before shooting or trapping. ours wants us to shoot all the coyotes they are a real problem here. racoons your not supposed to shoot or trap really. they have a hunting season. need permits. we live on 2 acres and I'm fencing in about an acre for our chickens, turkeys, and ducks to free range on. have also heard that guineas make good watch "dogs" they make the most ungodly racket when something strange comes up. also have heard that goats, alpacas, and donkeys all will chase off canines. we working on the petting zoo my wife says. hope that helps
6/22/2012 7:36 PM report abuse
GEORGEW
We built out coop out of 2x4 welded wire fencing strung around 6" cedar posts with a metal roof. there are 2x4's surrounding the top and bottom, and 1" chicken wire strung around the bottom 3'. So far we have only had one successful attack that got our duck, but didn't get any of the hens. We are assuming it was a weasel. We are going to run the 1" chicken wire around the remaining 3' of height of the walls, and also install 2 of the Nite Guards and see if that helps. We know we are dealing with coyotes, racoons, bobcats, bears and possibly mountain lions, so we are trying to take lots of precautions. We are next to a 12,000 acre wild life management area so we get visited by everything. We will keep you posted.
6/26/2012 10:07 AM report abuse

KASSANDRA
Score: 29
STANWOOD, WA
We recently revamped our chicken coop that had been the site of past attacks to the point that none of the chickens were living in it. This year we added a second fence to our enclosure (we have a 6' 2"x4" "no climb" welded wire as the outside fence) that is 6' and is a combination of standard chicken wire (the bottom 3') and some construction netting and chicken wire (the top 3').

We then also have a door that we can close at night to lock the chickens 'in' and it doubles as the gate to the second fence (which creates a yard within a yard). If we have any problems (which we haven't thus far) we plan to add a doggie door to the existing chicken door as we have an extra one with a solid panel 'lock'.
6/26/2012 3:23 PM report abuse
GENELLS
Score: 1
We have miniature donkeys with our free range chickens and before that we had goats and so far so good. They all go in the barn at night and this has worked out pretty good.
7/3/2012 8:59 PM report abuse
MATTHEWB
Score: 21
I have shot a few oppossums, and 'coons, and am an avid (professional) hog hunter, so I have night vision to aid in my endeavors. My coops are made of wood with tin roofing, and wooden walls with chicken wire to 8' high. I leave a light on at my shop porch, 30 feet away to aid in scaring varmints. I simply sit awhile, occassionally, when I've seen varmint sign, and that usually scares most of them away. Dumb ones (like 'possums) get a bullet for their stupidity. I much prefer my chickens to them.
9/4/2012 3:56 PM report abuse
TOMM
A good fenced run with a electric fence around that works for me. Haven't lost a bird since I put the fence up.
9/22/2012 11:26 AM report abuse
joed
Score: 4
I have tin around bottom of my run so small predators can't see them from a short distance. And I rolled chain Lynk fencing flat on ground all the way around the run and coop. This will stop anything from digging in under fencing.
3/6/2013 9:07 AM report abuse
ABBID
Score: 18
We put an electric wire around our 1 acre fenced yard for the free range chickens. We also put our miniature horses in there.
5/3/2013 11:17 PM report abuse
TINAC
Score: 160
yikes! you all make it sound too hard to keep chickens! we have had them in Montana and in Alaska - never any problems where we had them in MT -- we had a nice run for them - covered too - we had to keep them in it though and could not let them free range or our dog would kill them (she was a bird dog ad thought all birds were to be dead!) - but in Alaska the only problems we ever had is with ravens killing the young birds - if they were small enough to get out of the holes our penned area had --- at night (with all the light still) the chicks would get out, and the ravens would get them -- we lost a lot until we realized what killed them...
5/4/2013 12:53 PM report abuse
JEREMYB
Score: 0
We received our first chickens in early May of 2014. They were 5 four week old Barred Rocks. We kept them in the coop for 2 weeks before letting them out. Once we did start letting them roam free I was very nervous about predators. Everything had been going great until 4th of July weekend. Every time we cook out on the grill it attracts raccoons at night. Not to mention that our neighbors outside cat food usually has 3-4 coons on their porch every night. Monday morning I noticed the door from the chicken ramp was OPEN! When we went out to investigate, we found all 4 hens dead in the coop and our rooster was running around the yard. We had a loop and hook type of latch on the door, not enough. We definitely underestimated what raccoons are capable of. Since this happened I have been doing research on raccoons and have been astonished by my findings. NEVER underestimate a raccoon! Don't make the mistake we did. We have since beefed up the lock on the outside of their door and have also started latching it from the inside. It's kind of a pain to have to go in the coop every night to latch the door from the inside, but its worth it. We have children who are 2 and 4, they were devastated by what happened to their hens. I think the only thing that made it a little less painful was that the rooster survived. We are now determined to do everything we can to keep him safe. We also ordered 3 pullets to replace the ones we lost. I'm very anxious to receive the new birds. Our hens followed the rooster around as if he was there king. Now he walks around the yard all day crying and looking for them. Hopefully in a few weeks everything will be back to normal. We have shot two coons since that awful night, and we are going to be setting traps this weekend. If you suspect something is trying to get to your birds, but aren't sure what it is. Set up a game camera facing your coop. We did that the next night, so far it showed that the coons haven't tried getting back in, but we know they're there. Another piece of advice. I see that a lot of people are talking about lights outside the coop. This may keep some predators away, but probably not raccoons. We have had coons on our porch and I will turn on our 3 porch lights to scare them, they don't even look up. Once they know there is something they want, a light isn't going to stop them.
7/11/2014 5:41 AM report abuse
FLOYDW
Score: 9
I lived in the sticks my closest neighbor was two miles totally surrounded by Forrest. I had two great Pyranese dogs. I raised them with my chickens and goats. They did an awesome job guarding everything, in fact they have brought back leg bones from coyotes they have killed, they hate them when they start howling at dark they head to the back fence and off they go to chase them away. I have never lost anything to predators . Get you a Pyranese puppy and when it is little raise it with your chickens and other animals. They learn what belongs and what doesn't. They do like to travel and run the pastures. But I did not have problems with them leaving, guineas also make a good tattle tale when a vermin is coming up to your property, they will even holler when a hawk is flying over. You need at least 6-8 Guineas as they like to stay together there is strength in numbers,
Good luck to all- so frustrating to loose the animals you raise,!
3/12/2015 12:06 AM report abuse