Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> Rhode Island Red hasnt layed

Topic: Rhode Island Red hasnt layed (9 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Rhode Island Red hasnt layed (9 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
JASON40
Score: 0
Back in May I received 16 day old pullets of different varieties. 3 of those are Rhode Island Reds. 1 of them matured at a normal rate and began laying at a normal age. The other 2 were slower than pond water to mature. 1 of them just started laying a couple weeks ago and 1 of them has yet to lay and is showing ZERO signs of laying. WHY?
1/1/2016 9:29 PM report abuse
RICHARDW
Score: 1
That's pretty rough. It is really unusual for a RIR to be that late getting started. Hopefully she will get started as the days get longer and the weather begins to warm. Good luck.
1/12/2016 7:27 AM report abuse
JASON40
you seem like a wise old man. How did you gain so much wisdom and knowledge????
1/12/2016 4:42 PM report abuse
RICHARDW
I have raised chickens a long time and there is one thing for certain, they are all different. When your RIR decides to lay she will lay. She may end up being your best layer.
1/13/2016 6:43 AM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
When your pullets were getting close to the age for laying the hours of daylight became fewer. That will delay the pullets' development and delay laying. I have 4 pullets that hatched in June. None of them are laying. They still have the pink faces and combs of immature pullets. I expect that sometime in Feb or Mar as the days grow longer they will start to lay.
1/19/2016 10:08 PM report abuse
JASON40
Thanks for your input. That was really the only thing that any of us could come up with. She is slowly showing signs that she is gonna lay. The other RIR that was late to start laying is probably our best egg layer now
1/20/2016 10:51 PM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
I read somewhere that the best layers are those that start late. My 10 1/2 month old Buff Orpington just started to lay last weekend. Hopefully she will lay for a good long time.
1/21/2016 12:19 PM report abuse
JASON40
I've heard that too
1/22/2016 2:12 PM report abuse
ETHANO
You can try using a light on a timer to "lengthen their days" They are all different and when they are ready they will lay.
3/3/2016 12:02 AM report abuse