Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> RIR Chickens laying small to med. eggs

Topic: RIR Chickens laying small to med. eggs (8 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
RIR Chickens laying small to med. eggs (8 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
RICHARD12
Score: 0
my RIR Chickens are laying small to med eggs and should be laying lg to xtra lg eggs started laying in Oct. 2015 when will they lay full sized eggs.
1/13/2016 1:47 PM report abuse
RICHARDW
Score: 1
I think you are experiencing lack of light disorder. As the days get shorter and your chickens are eating less because it is dark it causes the eggs to be smaller. I think that as the days get longer and the chickens are out and about longer eating more their eggs will get larger also. You also have to be sure that they are not running out of food or water at any time. Hope this helps.
1/14/2016 3:36 PM report abuse
RICHARDW
Score: 1
Post deleted by RICHARDW 1/14/2016 3:36 PM 1/14/2016 3:36 PM report abuse
JASON40
Supplementing light does help but also I would be interested in knowing what kind of feed you are using. I have 3 RIR's that are of similar age. 1 just started laying a couple months ago. Her eggs are medium-large. 1 started in September and her eggs are large. But the 3rd RIR is lazy and not laying yet. I thought I would be smart and switched my chickens feed to a slightly higher protein feed thinking that would help create bigger eggs. I was wrong. Egg quality suffered from that feed. What they are taking in often has more to do with it than anything. Light can effect laying consistency but if they are laying consistently smallish eggs then its probably in their diet.
1/20/2016 11:04 PM report abuse
RICHARD12
I am feeding layer crumbles and scratch feed to all my chickens and no problem with any of them just the RIRs. I have French Black Copper Marans that are 3 weeks younger and there eggs are bigger than the RIRs. and I also have older chickens and no problems
1/21/2016 2:40 PM report abuse
JASON40
What is your scratch to crumble ratio?
1/21/2016 8:40 PM report abuse
RICHARD12
free feed crumbles feeder holds about 20lbs of food scratch about 3 cups once a day I have about 45 chickens total and I have two feeders for layer crumbles
Post edited by RICHARD12 1/21/2016 10:53 PM
1/21/2016 10:50 PM report abuse
JASON40
Is your layer crumble a commercial feed company or a small local feed company? Personally, I wouldn't give them scratch everyday, but that may just be a preference. I don't think you'll see the size eggs you're looking for until March anyways but a healthy diet helps
1/22/2016 2:11 PM report abuse