Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> Swollen Waddles

Topic: Swollen Waddles (4 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Swollen Waddles (4 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
JOLENEK
Score: 0
One of our roosters has a swollen waddle and he shakes his head. He is eating and drinking fine. I am not sure if this has to do with frostbite or what. A couple others have black streaks on their combs. Any suggestions on what it might be and how to help them?
1/16/2016 1:40 PM report abuse
JUDY7
Score: 3
My Rooster has the same problem and I know it's Frost Bite .... What I did at the first sighting was put Vaseline on any part of his comb and Waddle that looked black or felt hot and by the next day everything was cool and fine. The blackened tips of the comb did fall off. I also have put Neosporin on the come to help heal the damaged spots.
1/16/2016 4:11 PM report abuse
JOLENEK
Score: 0
Thank you Judy7. I was hoping it was that simple as that. I will put Vaseline on him in the morning as I do not want to open the door any more than I have to. It is -25 with windchill!!!
1/16/2016 7:25 PM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
Keeping the coop closed up might be the reason your rooster has frostbite. When coops are closed up they become humid. The droppings and the breathing of the birds create a lot of moisture. If you close up the coop there is no way for that moisture to get out. Therefore you get frostbite.

My chickens are in Montana. The coop is unheated. There are 8 inch by 3 foot openings just under the eaves. The pop door stays open year round, however, I have the sides of their run covered in clear plastic to keep the wind out. There is also a 2 foot by 1 foot opening on the back of the coop. Due to the way the coop is situated that opening gets no wind. The perches are low in the coop to avoid any breeze that might blow in the top openings. There is always a subtle air exchange taking place. The warm humid air rises and leaves the coop through the high openings while cold but dry air comes in through the back and through the pop door. My food and water and kept outside under the coop where there isn't any snow as the girls just don't like to walk on snow. Water in the coop adds to moisture.

Birds can do very well in cold weather as long as they have a dry, draft proof place to hang out. Most people consider canaries as very delicate. Yet my grandmother had books on raising canaries that talked about breaking the ice on the water dishes early in the morning so the birds could drink. Again, draft proof but ventilated cages were recommended.

My girls have done well down to -10 degrees this winter. Since they are first year pullets they are laying well, 6-8 eggs a day. One girl just laid her first egg last week but the other 8 have been laying since mid summer. Wind factor doesn't matter. As I said, the run has clear plastic blocking the wind and the coop has openings where no wind will blow on the girls.
Post edited by PATRICES 1/19/2016 10:28 PM
1/19/2016 10:25 PM report abuse