Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> Sex of chicks

Topic: Sex of chicks (6 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Sex of chicks (6 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
DARLENE3
Score: 1
Is there any way to tell if a chick is male or female? Our chicks are 1 wk.old.
4/19/2016 2:44 PM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
If you bought straight run there is no way to sex them until they are several weeks old. Even then some breeds are more difficult to sex than others and take a lot more time to develop.

Sexers at the hatchery are very skilled. They can tell the correct sex with a 90% accuracy. They also spend 5 years learning how to sex chicks correctly. So if you bought sexed females you can be pretty sure that the vast majority are female. I ordered 23 female chicks last year and every one was female.
4/21/2016 1:38 AM report abuse
MICHELLE58
I ordered female chicks. Were they supposed to have tape on their legs showing that they'd been sexed or is that only true for ducks? Apart from the exotic who didn't survive shipping, we've only lost one who arrived lethargic and the rest look promising. My youngest is a wreck from just losing one after one day, so I can't imagine what he'll be like if these are actually straight run and we have to get rid of roos in six weeks. Thanks!
7/16/2016 1:58 AM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
Chicks are not marked as to sex like some poultry is marked. If you ordered females than you can count on the vast majority of your chicks being female. As I said, the people who sex the chicks are good at what they do. Of course, those people are not perfect and occasionally they do make a mistake. A 90% rate at sexing tiny little chicks correctly is pretty good, I think.
7/17/2016 10:58 AM report abuse
MICHELLE58
I agree that a 90% rate is great! I've watching the feather development on their wings things look very promising. Thanks!
7/17/2016 11:47 PM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
You can not feather sex your birds now. Certain breeds of chickens can be feather sexed, looking at the wing feathers, when they are 1 day old. That is not true for the majority of breeds nor can they be feather sexed, looking at the wings to decide sex when they are older. However, a cockerel will develop pointy saddle feathers as they develop. The hens have more rounded feathers.

A better way to help you figure out sex is to watch the comb. A cockerel will normally have a larger comb than the pullets and it will turn bright red at about 12 weeks old. Pullets' combs don't turn bright red until they are nearly ready to lay.
7/25/2016 4:02 AM report abuse