Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> Thin egg shells

Topic: Thin egg shells (16 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Thin egg shells (16 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report

McMurray Hatchery
A few of my hens are laying really thin shelled eggs. She's not quite a year old and gets the best of everything! What am I missing?
6/6/2012 3:40 PM report abuse
KARENM
Score: 10
Add some oyster shell that can be purchased at the local feed store or co op (sold in a bag) that should cure the thin shells.
6/21/2012 3:51 PM report abuse
LORIANG
Score: 3
I'm having the same issue with one of my chickens (only 1 chicken out of a flock of 23) and I do give them oyster shell with their feed. Is there any other possible cause that anyone can think of?
6/21/2012 8:01 PM report abuse
JEFFG
Score: 0
Having same issue with just one out of 20 as well...a buff orp at 1.5 years old. Been laying all thin shell for over 3 months. Dont know what to do at this point.
6/21/2012 9:26 PM report abuse
KRISTIND
Score: 34
Perhaps that individual chicken does not like oyster shell? There is always one out of any group that has to be difficult. You could try giving them something that has a lot of calcium in it. Soybeans, collard greens, spinach, and broccoli are high in calcium. Citrus, while high in calcium, is not recommended to give to chickens, however. Hope that helps. :) Good luck!
6/22/2012 6:51 PM report abuse

Ruth
Score: 48
When you use eggs, you could try saving the egg shells for the laying hens. Crush them so the chickens won't recognize them as eggs, and feed them those.
6/23/2012 1:24 PM report abuse

JoeC57
Score: 10
Be sure to wash the egg shells first to remove the smell and make sure they are thoroughly dried and crushed.
6/27/2012 2:59 PM report abuse
BRYANM
Score: 13
Out of each batch of chicks that I have raised I have always had at least one soft shell. I have never used oyster shell. it seams wilth mine after the first couple soft shells they start laying regular shells i am guessing the egg is not totally formed while going thru the chicken
8/26/2012 1:29 PM report abuse

MIKEK
Score: 7
So my egg shells are not really thin, fairly thick as a matter of fact. However I am finding 4-5 a day they have small cracks at one end or the other. They do not appear to be pecked although that dose happens to. Just small hair line cracks. Any ideas what is causing this?
12/16/2012 9:57 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Do you have a perch in front of the nest boxes? If the birds are jumping directly into the nest from the floor, it can bump the eggs together causing cracks in the shell.
1/2/2013 2:56 PM report abuse

MIKEK
there is about a 6" ledge outside the nest box, Not very wide but I see them walk out on it regulary.
1/4/2013 6:11 AM report abuse

MIKEK
Ruth, what is the name of the bird in your photo? I adopted two chickins just before christmas. a Partrige Rock and one that looks just like the one in your photo.
1/4/2013 6:15 AM report abuse

Ruth
Score: 48
My photo used to be my bantam Golden Sebright rooster. I just changed my pic.
1/13/2013 5:54 PM report abuse
CHRISTIANT
Score: 4
Try feeding them things that are high in calcium like oyster shells
1/28/2013 9:23 AM report abuse

Petals Free-Range Organics
Score: 2
DESCANSO, CA
I too free-choice feed oyster shell and also crushed egg shells to my cage free hens. My bird vet suggested adding vit D with calcium to my water. Out of 42 hens only 5 lay thin shells. I am grinding up the pill form and hope this solves the problem in my hen house.
2/21/2013 11:57 AM report abuse
JUDITH2
Score: 0
I have a two year old black astralorpe who lays large brown eggs almost daily. Some are fine, some have tiny granules of what maybe egg shell stuck to the outside, today she laid an egg with no shell at all. All of the hens have oyster shell freely strewn in their pen, and they free range over an acre daily. They also get egg shells that have been parched and crushed. Help! She is the sweetest girl and I hate to see her distressed. She is moping so maybe she is embarrassed. Or maybe I am projecting how I would feel with this failure.
3/16/2016 6:07 PM report abuse