Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> Sick chick care - first time hand raising

Topic: Sick chick care - first time hand raising (1 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Sick chick care - first time hand raising (1 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
CHRISTINES
Score: 0
I just got chicks from this hatchery and one was wobbly yesterday, but seemed to eat and drink okay and I thought perked back up. They are under a heat lamp with places to go that are warmer and less warm and they all seemed to be happy. This morning, when I woke up, one looked half-dead. I've been giving her sugar water (with the Quick Chix, and some coconut water thrown in for good measure). She can take a little bit but then doesn't want anymore, and I tried giving her mash this last time and she threw it all up (I held her upside down to try to keep her from aspirating). She's doing a lot of sleeping. Really don't know what I'm doing, just going with my gut, and wondering if anybody has any advice. I did notice around her butt seemed like the feathers were stuck/hard (not poopy, though, I already had cleaned up everybody's pasty butt), so I washed it with warm water and a paper towel until I could see that everything was all clear. She protested at that (actually, this might be a he, my rooster wasn't marked), so she still has some spunk in her, and every once in awhile she'll jump up, totter around, then lay back down. She's in a shoe box inside the same bin as everybody else to keep them from running over her or pecking at her, and I have it positioned so there are warmer and cooler spots. Anyhow, if anybody has any advice....I feel like at this point I'll stick to the sugar/vitamin water in small, frequent doses so she'll keep it down. Has anybody dealt with this and their chick survived?
5/26/2016 3:28 PM report abuse