Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Ducks & Geese -> Duck predators

Topic: Duck predators (9 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Duck predators (9 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
MARIONS
Score: 1
We just came home from several days away to find my two runner ducks missing the heads. No of the Muscovey ducks have been bothered. Could it have been a weisel?
6/21/2012 4:02 PM report abuse
JACOBC
it might be an owl
6/21/2012 9:52 PM report abuse
SARAF
Score: 3
Raccoons, they always bite off the head. The coup (built about 10 yrs ago) was completely enclosed with wood and wire with locking doors. The raccoon would find weak places where the wire and wood met and pull them apart. We repaired the coup with each attack to the point that,over time, we had replaced all of the chicken wire with a heavier gauge livestock wire. Between the wire upgrade and traps, we haven't had anymore trouble - but they are still out there . . . .
Post edited by SARAF 7/5/2012 4:12 PM
6/22/2012 11:18 AM report abuse
MICHAELA
Score: 18
I agree, it must have been raccoons. Sorry about the ducks.
6/22/2012 1:30 PM report abuse
SARAF
Lost 20 of our chickens,one by one over a year's time, from what we thought was a secure coup. We blamed it on foxes and coyotes that are seen (or heard) in our area. Then Googled "What ate my chickens," and were surprised that it pointed to raccoons. We have since trapped 17 of the perpetrators in a "Havahart" trap placed next to the coup. They are not "cute" little animals, but mean and vicious predators. We put the traps out only occasionally now.
6/23/2012 12:13 PM report abuse
DAVIDL
SARAF, did you determine how the preditor got to the ducks if the coop was secure. dug, climed?
6/25/2012 3:14 PM report abuse
MARIONS
These ducks are free range which is a gamble I know,but I am hoping it will work. I have ordered the solar light from McMurry to see if it will help.
6/25/2012 5:40 PM report abuse
DAVIDL
Another thing that you might wish to try is to get some hair clipping from a beauty salon. Place the hair into nylon stakings and hang them around where the ducks live. The animals will smell the human scent and stay away. We tied these to our young trees to keep the deer from rubbing them and it worked well.
6/25/2012 7:09 PM report abuse
BRYANM
Score: 13
I agree with davidl the hair clippings work very well the oil from the human hair will keep many animals away but had found out it does not work on mink
7/21/2012 9:36 AM report abuse