Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> chics dying one by one

Topic: chics dying one by one (10 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
chics dying one by one (10 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
BRIAN49
Score: 3
We received 27 assorted on Friday, they arrived with one sick chic that soon died. we are losing one + a day. they arrived Friday 6 am. it is now sunday night and we are - 4 chics. saddest part is the rare fuzzy footed cochin is one of the dead.

my wife is getting very heart broken and it looks like there is nothing we can do to stop it.

we added sugar to their water upon arrival and they were speedy lil things.

now I just do not know what to do.

I will call on Monday. I sure hope this cycle stops.

from reading other posts we are not alone and this company seems to take care of their customers.

I hope the little guys hang in there.

good luck everyone that is having the same issues as us.
7/10/2016 9:20 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Sorry to hear that! They may have been stressed or jostled during the shipping process. We guarantee our chicks, so please call our customer service and we would be happy to help.
7/11/2016 8:00 AM report abuse
BRIAN49
Thank You for your quick response and remedy to the situation. We are nearing the end of week 2 and are holding strong with 23 chicks.

I think we are out of the woods.

thanks again!
Brian
Post edited by BRIAN49 7/18/2016 7:21 PM
7/18/2016 7:20 PM report abuse
MARK73
In the more than 40 years I have been ordering mail order chickens , it has been quite the norm to experience 10-20% mortality, from whom ever I have purchased! I have been lucky a few times and received all live chicks and even raised them to early maturity with no losses- this is not normal. I have had the most consistent results and received the best genetics from Murray McMurray! I never would of experienced as many breeds of poultry if not for them!
9/30/2016 9:46 AM report abuse
MICHELLE67
Score: 0
First time raising baby chicks. We ordered 26 plus free exotic. All looked ok. They were shipped Monday @ 2pm we pI tracked and picked up Wednesday at 9am. We ordered the beginner pkg for brooding light, 2 water, 2 feed, pen. I also paid to have shots and pullorum. Had 1 chick missing an eye. Called c/s asked what it looked like cuz I didn't know the breed at this point. I described and she gave full refund. Next day found 1 dead. Called again gave refund. Now Saturday had 2 more die. It's past the 48 hrs so I know I can't get refund but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Gave the vitamin water w/ sugar using heat lamps and thermometer to keep eye on temp. Have them on newspacer w/ pine chips then puppy pads then plastic. They are in the house in our bar room. I check them every 2-3 hrs change water 2x a day. I know I'm probably doing more then most (OCD) but I love animals and am always careful and clean. We got them for eggs and pets. I did determine which 1 is the free exotic which was the rooster as I only ordered females. Is it normal to have 3 die w/in 3 days of getting them? I did the beck dip for each one at a time. Even when I noticed the last 2 acting odd hand dipped a few times to make sure it wasn't dehydrated. They tried fighting to live but in the end nature took its course. Please advise me if I'm doing something wrong. It's heartbreaking cuz I'm pretty sure one was my cochin and one araucana. At this rate I might have to order 15 more as backup. Thank you for your time. Update day 6 lost a total of 7 what's going wrong?
Post edited by MICHELLE67 2/13/2017 6:07 AM
2/11/2017 5:09 PM report abuse
STEPHANIE21
I ordered 15 chicks plus the bonus. One was dead in the box and several were lethargic. Got them all settled in with gel, food, electrolyte water, heat, and by lunch another dead. I have 4 more now that are in bad shape and a five year old boy who is getting more and more sad. They start gasping for breath and laying there...it's awful. I had no issues with my batch last year. I feel there's something wrong this batch
5/12/2017 10:50 PM report abuse
MARK73
Hello Stephanie21! So many possible causes of your problems, but a few things are as follows: Mis-handling by callous postal workers probably #1 cause!, make sure there is room enough in your brooder set up to allow the birds to get away from any excess heating as they need, also make sure the temps are adequate in the brooder to keep all the birds warm enough when directly under the heat lamp(is the light close enough or too far away?)Do not over handle the new chicks, always use a good chick starter in the water and continue to change frequently, dip the beaks in the water when first placing them in the brooder, and call MM for refund or credit for losses that occurred upon arrival or shortly thereafter. I have experienced an average rate of about 10-20% losses from most suppliers over the more than 40 years I have been ordering chicks by mail. I have received boxes with most chicks dead or dying a couple of times (sad!)with obvious signs of mishandling! Likewise I have experienced 100% survival to adulthood a few times. Even raising new chicks I have hatched at home, I have routinely experienced some losses, that's pretty normal with baby birds, even with good care! Good luck and hang in there! The opportunity to obtain so many varieties of birds and the usual high quality of Murray McMurray birds sets them at the top of all of the suppliers I have used!
5/13/2017 12:10 PM report abuse
STEPHANIE21
I'm at seven lost out of 16. The ones I had last year were fantastic. No losses. Most of these ones are gasping and seizing after being fine. The last death was this am, I'm hoping that's all. I have the same set up I had last year, same size, heat placement, I've been troubleshooting every scenario. We now have four left that probably won't make it through the night.....I'm so sad about this shipment.
Post edited by STEPHANIE21 5/14/2017 11:29 PM
5/13/2017 8:12 PM report abuse
MARK73
Post deleted by MARK73 5/17/2017 10:05 AM 5/17/2017 10:03 AM report abuse
MARK73
So sorry to hear this Stephanie! It is so stressful to witness this sort of thing. Best wishes for your flocks!
5/17/2017 10:04 AM report abuse