Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> Things I'd like to see McMurray do

Topic: Things I'd like to see McMurray do (33 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Next »
Things I'd like to see McMurray do (33 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
Robert D Seals
Score: 19
I wish you could buy less then 25 chicks.
6/21/2012 4:16 PM report abuse
BRENT
Score: 1
I agree. Maybe half that many.

http//:www.tannerlandsurveying.com
6/21/2012 9:39 PM report abuse
KRISTIND
Score: 34
I wish that they would ship chicks during the week rather than on Saturday so as to improve the chances of the chicks arriving in good shape. The postal service is not famous for getting packages shipped in a timely manner all of the time as it is. I would also like to see them start offering "Freedom rangers". They are a meat chicken that grows slightly slower than the cornish x crosses but have a higher immunity, better retain the ability to free range, and don't usually have the same health issues.
6/22/2012 6:35 PM report abuse

Ruth
Score: 48
I think Murray McMurray should get true Araucanas, Brabanters, and Buckeyes.
6/23/2012 1:38 PM report abuse

JoeC57
Score: 10
I had 3 'Freedom Rangers' die in the heat yesterday. I'm not too sure about their ability to survive in the heat. They had shade and all the water they wanted.
6/27/2012 2:57 PM report abuse

The Walrus
Score: 26
they can't send less than 25 because they need that many birds to generate the proper amount of body heat to keep the 1 day olds warm enough for transport.
i know some hatcheries will send less than that if you pay extra for a heat-pack of some kind they send with the chix.
7/6/2012 8:45 AM report abuse

Ruth
Half the other hatcherys I know of can ship less than 25 just fine. Maby if you live closer to the actual hatchery state-wise you should be able to ship less than 25 chicks.
7/8/2012 9:50 AM report abuse
DANL
Score: 24
Fort Jones, CA
A friend & I share our order to get to 25,split the shipping cost,explore it could be a good thing to find others close so you can do same
7/8/2012 11:59 AM report abuse

Ruth
We were going to split our order if we could, but didn't find anyone to split with. We decided to get the chickens we wanted, and the other half, get good egg layers to sell as soon as they got old enough.
7/18/2012 4:10 PM report abuse
DELINDAL
Score: 7
I wish that the hatchery would send emails when chickies are shipped. It would give you an idea of when they might come... I called and spoke with someone about tracking and they said they don't give out tracking numbers because they aren't updated until after the package is delivered. They should update their shipping department, because USPS has made some big changes since the beginning of the year, and this is not true. Tracking is updated very often during the shipping process, and usually an estimated delivery date is listed. This would be very helpful trying to plan your week around going to the Post Office for little ones.
8/26/2012 10:57 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Thank you for your input. We are working on smaller order requirements for the baby chicks... We are always working with the postal service on a regional and national level to help ensure safe shipments of the poultry. The tracking number system that is posted to the web site may have a delay time and will depend on when it is updated.
We always welcome our customers comments and suggestions and will always strive to achieve the highest quality in all areas.
8/30/2012 4:09 PM report abuse
MATTHEWB
Score: 21
Ruth, Auracaunas probably wouldn't be feasible because of their fatal allelle problems.
9/4/2012 2:47 PM report abuse
VINCENTD
Cacklehatchery sends out email the day they ship the chicks out. The chicks arrive at the post office 2 days later and I just go there very early in the morning to pick them up without a phone call from USPS. Mcmurrayhatchery gave me shipping date 9/19/12 to 9/22/12 (Saturday) without emailing. Now I have no clue when the chicks arrive.
9/20/2012 7:29 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
During our regular shipping season (February thru July) an email is sent when the order ships. We are in the process of adding that to our summer/fall shipments as well. Also we can not tell you exactly which day the chicks will arrive. The PO has 3 days to deliver so after they leave us we have no control over what day they arrive.
9/20/2012 9:15 AM report abuse
ROGERN
Score: 2
I'm really disappointed that they won't ship to a Po box. We don't have mail delivery here,
10/21/2012 11:05 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
ROGERN, All baby chicks are shipped to the PO. Most of our larger merchandise items are shipped FEDX or UPS because of the size and weight. The PO charges extra for these items. If you have an item to purchase, you can always call us to see what the Postal rate is for that item.
10/22/2012 8:24 AM report abuse

KIMBERLYP
Score: 6
I am also disappointed that there is no e-mail sent out when a shipment is sent. Luckily I have a small post office and I know my mail carrier personally. But being given a range of Thursday-Saturday is a little disappointing. It makes it difficult to plan out your week as you seem to be waiting on chickens to arrive. It seems if Fall is the down season it would be easir to inform customers about the orders. This is my first time ordering chicks, so I anticipate a good outcome. It will determine if I do this again.
10/24/2012 9:04 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
As stated above, we are in the process of emailing when orders are shipped. We are hoping by next season it will be available year round. McMurray Hatchery is always up for suggestions to keep up with our customer's needs. Next season starting in April, our shipping minimum will be decreased to 15. So please be patient....we are trying to make the process easier for all of our customers!
10/24/2012 9:44 AM report abuse

KIMBERLYP
That would be great. If I have a good experience with the chicks I get this week I may order again in the spring. :)
10/24/2012 4:50 PM report abuse
CHETH
I wish McMurray would hatch on Monday and Tuesday.
11/8/2012 6:49 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
We hatch on the weekend because that is when the airlines allow us the space needed to fit our boxes on the flights. We take our trucks to the airport one by one and each has to be there within a time frame.
11/9/2012 8:48 AM report abuse
ODISB
Score: 10
Having placed my 1st order with McMurrays, I have to comment I have never dealt with anyone more courtious. Now that I have started reading these blogs, I see why. They want peoples input so they might do a better job. I wont be going no where other than here.
12/13/2012 6:09 PM report abuse
ANGIEJ
Thanks for setting up the 15 chicks ordering. Ordered mine today!!!
1/24/2013 1:56 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Angie-we are excited to offer the new minimums this year. We hope you enjoy your new babies :)
1/24/2013 4:35 PM report abuse

SweetPea
Score: 21
I'm WI girl who's had chickens for 9 years and experienced a ton in that time!
I'd really like bantam Leghorns. They are the absolute active darlings like the Japanesse - without the short Japanesse legs. I wish I could order them here.
1/25/2013 3:07 PM report abuse