Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Feed -> number of eggs in one day from layers

Topic: number of eggs in one day from layers (3 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
number of eggs in one day from layers (3 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
NORENEM
Score: 1
I have 12 Americanna laying hens I feed them organic pellets. They are cooped in a large coop and they have a large run. I am only getting 6 to 8 eggs a day. Is this normal.
9/5/2016 1:55 PM report abuse
JOHN170
Score: 0
HOUSTON, TX
City backyard hens (4)/country free range hens and breeding trios, cows, pigs, fishing, hunting with time. Retired.
Sounds short to me. We had one AMER. that was go for 6 eggs a week with few exceptions, still 5 eggs. I think 2 eggs for 3 hens was the old producer's cull for the pen of 3 but higher now.
2 for 3 would be 8 eggs per day for 12
6/2/2017 10:31 PM report abuse
MARK73
Score: 3
many variables apply to egg production rates. 6-8 eggs per day from 12 hens would be good for many breeds of healthy hens ,on the average. Variables not related to breed ,such as the season at the time, supplemental lighting, diet, crowding, parasites and etc. effect the production of eggs. Even breeds known for high production may "slack off" at times due to many different possible causes. I would not be overly concerned about birds laying 150-200 eggs per year in a home flock of dual purpose or ornamental birds. I have had birds including Americaunas and Polish who laid up to 5-6eggsa week each for peak weeks in the year, but in the winter laid only a couple a week at best. Look at coop conditions, such as temperature, supplemental lighting, crowding, cool and clean water, and the quality and specs. for the feed egg ration used. If all is well, then enjoy your birds efforts as they are and consider adding egg production breeds in the future if higher production outweighs your other reasons for having the birds. The likely hood of consistently providing more than 8 eggs per day from 12 hens from most any breed for very long is dubious with most breeds of chickens. Best week performances may hit 6-7 eggs per bird, but will not likely occur often or be sustained for very long. Commercial egg production flocks professionally maintained seldom produce much more than 250eggs per year per bird on the average.
Post edited by MARK73 11/22/2017 1:31 AM
11/22/2017 1:19 AM report abuse