Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Equipment -> Nipple waterers in winter

Topic: Nipple waterers in winter (5 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Nipple waterers in winter (5 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
MARK71
Score: 0
I was wondering if you can use the nipple style waterers in the winter? The kind I'm talking about are the ones with the nipples screwed into the bottom of a bucket. I figure you can use one of the bucket heaters to keep the water in the bucket from freezing, but I'm wondering if the nipples would still freeze.
9/9/2016 12:14 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
We have the new chicken water de-icer that is designed for use with nipple drinkers.
9/15/2016 2:57 PM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
You might want to try some horizontal nipples instead of the vertical nipples you are using. The horizontal ones are less likely to freeze during the winter as they don't hang down below the bucket or container you are using. They are also less likely to leak and make a frozen mess on the ground under the water.

I use a semi transparent plastic tote I bought from Walmart that holds 10 gallons of water. It's semi transparent so I can easily see when it needs filled. The horizontal nipples are mounted on the side of the tote but close to the bottom of the tote. The lid of the tote has a hole in it that is large enough for the cord of the stock tank deicer that is rated safe to use in plastic. With 15 birds that was more water than they could drink in a week so it cut down on how often it needed filled during the winter. It also stayed thawed the coldest it got here last winter, -12 degrees F. The water was kept outside in the run to keep any extra moisture out of the coop. This system worked so well that the neighbors are all going to be using it this coming winter.
11/13/2016 10:57 PM report abuse
MARK71
Score: 0
Are horizontal nipples different from the vertical ones, or do you just mount them differently? Could you post a picture of your setup?
11/13/2016 11:18 PM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
Horizontal nipples and vertical nipples are completely different. I will take a picture of the waterer tomorrow.

Do a search on Ebay for horizontal poultry nipples to see the difference.
Post edited by PATRICES 11/14/2016 10:50 PM
11/14/2016 10:48 PM report abuse