Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> Winterizing

Topic: Winterizing (8 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Winterizing (8 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
PEGGYB
Score: 2
I'm setting my coop up for the winter as it gets pretty harsh here in Wisconsin. My concern is, I have three hens I bought with the Choice Layer collection that I'm uncertain how well they will do in the winter months. An Egyptian Fayoumis, a Red Pyle Game Hen and a Polish Crested are the three I'm concerned about. How well do they do in winter, what if any extra special care should I put into place for them, should I just bring them inside for the winter months?
9/18/2016 7:58 AM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
My Polish did fine during the Montana winter. I don't have any experience with the other breeds.
9/26/2016 2:12 AM report abuse
PEGGYB
Just wish that when someone is ordering a collection they would keep zones in mind, like not sending an Egyptian bird to Wisconsin.
9/27/2016 7:48 AM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
I think when they are doing up those collections they just have a bunch of trays of chicks and just pick so many out of random trays. They don't have the time to look where you live, look at the chicks they have available, and choose only what they feel should do best.

I'll tell you a simple and easy watering system I used last year. Get a semi clear plastic tote with lid. Mine is holds 10 gallons but a little larger would work too. Get horizontal nipples and install them on the side, near the bottom of the tote. Cut a hole in the lid for the cord of a stock tank heater that is rated okay to use in plastic. Put stock tank heater in tote, fill with water, put cord through hole in lid, and put the lid on. Plug it in and you have a good way for your chickens to get water all winter. That kept my chickens in water for over a week between each filling. It never froze even when the temperature went down to -12 and was kept outside in the run.
Post edited by PATRICES 11/11/2016 4:28 PM
11/11/2016 4:27 PM report abuse
PEGGYB
I have a system set up for my cold hardy birds where there water doesn't freeze and they can access their food......my question is how are the "not cold hardy birds" going to fair in the Wisconsin weather or should I just move them inside for the winter or let them outside to freeze to death.
11/15/2016 6:52 PM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
Can I ask what you do for your winter water? Am always looking for new and better ideas. Please share.

Wish I could help you more than I did about your particular breeds of birds. I just have plenty of ventilation to keep the moisture down in the coop and so far it's working, even for the Polish.
11/17/2016 12:03 AM report abuse
PEGGYB
We have an automatic waterer set up with PVC pipe, chicken nipples, a hose and a water heater hooked up to a thermocube dropped down in the water-feed pipe. When the temps really drop and the hose freezes up and we're unable to move water through the automatic waterer we have a back-up with the movable heated waterers.
11/19/2016 4:58 AM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
I also have a back up plan. Bought a heated dog dish just in case my system freezes. I think with chickens it's always best to have a plan B. I don't want to ever have to go out twice a day to keep the girls in water when it's cold.
11/19/2016 9:32 AM report abuse