Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Incubating & Hatching Eggs -> Rhode Island Red roosters

Topic: Rhode Island Red roosters (2 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Rhode Island Red roosters (2 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
neal blake
Score: 15
I am 68 years old. I raised chickens for years but quit about 15 years ago. I have now started back with about 50 laying chicks
At what age can you tell a pullet from a rooster. Is there any way at 2 weeks?
6/21/2012 5:42 PM report abuse
MICHAELA
Score: 18
I currently have 5 RIR chickens. ONe of them (Rex Goliath) I call him, surprisingly turned out to be a rooster. I noticed a difference at about a month of age. His comb became significantly larger than that of his sisters. I expected him to be a pullet, so I wasn't looking for signs of a rooster. It depends. Some you know are roosters at just few days old and some may take as long as 2-3 months to recognize. You should be able to get an idea of the sex at that age but, you can't be certain. Take a chick that you are fairly sure is a hen, and compare it with one that is questionable. If it is a rooster, the comb will be somewhat larger, it may be a bit bigger than the hen and if you hold them both at the same time, a rooster would appear more outgoing. Sometimes if you observe them in thier brooder, thier personalities are apparent and you can just tell.
6/23/2012 8:32 PM report abuse