Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> Egg prodution

Topic: Egg prodution (2 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Egg prodution (2 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
TOMMYR
Score: 0
I received my chicks on Wednesday, June 15th. They hatched the previous Monday on June 13th. They are an Araucana breed... supposed to lay green eggs. Anyway, They have not begun to lay yet and they are already 20 weeks old. My last chicks began laying around 18 weeks... those were Longhorns / Delewars / Black Ostralopes... Any suggestions?
11/3/2016 12:57 PM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
Laying at 18 weeks is rather early for most. With my last batch of pullets the first laid at 20 weeks 3 days and the second to lay was a week later. The last one didn't lay until she was 11 months old.

If your pullets haven't started to lay yet I wouldn't expect them to start laying until late Jan or even Feb. Dec 21 or 22 will be the longest night of the season with days getting longer starting then. Chickens need 14 hours of daylight to lay eggs. With the days getting shorter at this time of the year their system is not telling them to lay. Once the days get longer they will start.

You could add some supplemental light. Set a light on a timer so that they wake up 15 minutes earlier than they have been waking up. Every few days set your time to add another 15 minutes until the chickens are getting 14 hours of light. That would get them started. Just be very careful if you do use extra lighting that you secure the light very well. Lights can start a fire of not properly secured.

I prefer to just let nature do its thing.
11/5/2016 2:08 AM report abuse