Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> toe nails

Topic: toe nails (3 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
toe nails (3 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
HARDINW
Score: 1
My 1 and 1/2 year old dark cornish has lost a toe nail. we think it may have been caught on something and torn off. Is there any way to clip our flocks toenails? and what shall we do with this bird.
11/14/2016 9:08 AM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
Yes, you can trim a chicken's nails. You need to trim just little bit and keep some styptic powder close by. The quick is in the middle of the nail. The quick has blood in it. If you cut into the quick the nail will bleed. Then you will need the styptic powder to stop the bleeding. I've never needed to trim my flock as they free range and that keeps their nails in check. However, I have raised canaries and parakeets and trimmed their nails. There is also a good article about trimming a chickens nails here http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/trimming-your-chickens-nails-tutorial You could copy and paste this link into your browser.
11/18/2016 11:56 PM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
Post deleted by PATRICES 11/18/2016 11:56 PM 11/18/2016 11:56 PM report abuse