Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> Some black fungus on the comb

Topic: Some black fungus on the comb (2 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Some black fungus on the comb (2 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
ALAN7
Score: 0
I bought some day olds back June 1st, 2016. I have 5 Red Star and 5 White Leghorn hens. Looks like about half of each has this black fungus on the combs. See pic. This is my 2nd set of chicks. Never had problem before. Is there something I can do? What went wrong? I am in East Texas and we have not had any freezing temps nor super hot days.
11/15/2016 12:58 PM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
It could be frostbite. Chickens with big combs are most likely to get frostbite. I'd make sure you have enough ventilation in the upper areas of your coop to get the moisture out. A dry chicken is a warm chicken. Chickens make a lot of moisture by breathing and pooping. Getting that moisture out of the coop is your number one way of keeping your birds warm and keeping frostbite away.

My 6 by 8 coop has two 1 by 3 foot vents just under the eaves. I also have a 2 by 2 vent in the back of the coop where no wind will get in as it's only a couple feet from the house. I also leave my pop door open year round. Already this year we've had nights that were below 0 and none of the girls are getting frostbite. In the mornings they are all in the covered run scratching around for anything they might have missed the day before.
12/15/2016 2:43 PM report abuse