Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> egg eater?

Topic: egg eater? (6 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
egg eater? (6 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report

MICHAEL124
Score: 0
I have 16 21 week old hens. For the past few days I've seen yellow liquid in their bedding in the nesting boxes. This morning I found a broken egg shell in one of the boxes. Do I have a bird eating my eggs? could the bird just have soft shelled eggs? all of the other birds eggs have extreamly tough shells.
Post edited by MICHAEL124 12/11/2016 11:27 AM
12/11/2016 11:24 AM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
At that age soft shelled eggs and no shell eggs are really rather common. So you could be getting those and the eggs are breaking and making a mess.

What are you feeding your birds? Are you giving them a lot of treats? Treats, scratch, whole corn, BOSS should make up no more than 10% of their diet. A chicken that is lacking protein might become an egg eater. You might consider upping the protein for awhile to see if that makes a difference.

Could another animal be getting into your coop and eating the eggs? Mink only need a very small hole to get in.

If you determine that you do have an egg eater then it's important to figure out which hen is doing it. You need to get that hen out of the coop asap. Egg eating can be a learned behavior. Having an egg eater in the coop means that others could also become egg eaters.

My suggestion would be to check for eggs more often for awhile. That way you just might catch an egg eater in the act. You might also see a thin shelled egg before it gets broken. Then you'll have your answer.
12/11/2016 3:00 PM report abuse

MICHAEL124
Thanks so much! I am feeding them Purina layer crumble, however i have been giving them pumpkins in their run. Could they be eating too much of this? Also, i have their feeder on the lowest quantity setting. should i change this immidiately or take the pumpkins out and wait to see if this fixes things? Thanks again
12/12/2016 11:51 AM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
For the next few weeks I would feed them nothing but their layer crumbles. I am not sure about this setting you have on the feeder. Do you limit how much food they eat? They should be eating all they want and need. You should also be offering oyster shell in a separate dish. Those who might need extra calcium will eat the oyster shell. Those who are getting all they need from their food won't eat it.
12/12/2016 12:33 PM report abuse

MICHAEL124
I also recently purchased the layer pellets, and I was planning to start them on this in just a few days, it has more crude protein and calcium. This type of feed is recommended for birds of this age. Also, the feeder settings only chenges how much food comes out at once, not how much they can eat, should I increase the amount of feed presented to them? Thanks
12/12/2016 7:19 PM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
As long as the chickens can get all the food they want your feeder should be fine.

I use layer pellets when I have all adult hens. There seems to be less waste with pellets than with crumbles. You still should offer oyster shell in a separate bowl.
12/14/2016 10:00 AM report abuse