Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> Dead chicks

Topic: Dead chicks (2 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Dead chicks (2 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
JOSH13
Score: 0
New member/customer. I ordered 28 chicks from McMurray hatchery, was sent a free exotic which I was really excited about. I got them Friday from post office as soon as they contacted me. I took my chicks home and immediately put them in my brooder which is in my garage. I have kept a heat light on them, fresh water and chick starter/grower. I have now had 3 chicks die, our exotic, a leghorn and a an austrolop. I am not accustomed to a mortality rate this high after chicks hatching. Is this normal?
2/27/2017 9:22 PM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
Your chicks have been subjected to more than just hatching. They were stuffed in a box and sent through the mail. They were bumped. They might have gotten left in a draft. When ordering chicks through the mail I always figure on losing 10 percent. It's the price you pay for getting the variety and gender you want. For that reason I ordered 3 cockerels in my next order. I only need one but am getting extras "just in case."
2/27/2017 9:34 PM report abuse