Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> digging chickens

Topic: digging chickens (3 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
digging chickens (3 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
DAVID178
Score: 0
I am an experienced home flock keeper having a big problem with chickens digging. It is so bad that it is causing erosion on the bank of my farm road (and I only have 17 chickens). I typically feed cracked corn or scratch, adding Traditions pellets in late winter. Recently started adding a little mineral salt to maybe help, but no dice. Chickens get out three to five hours daily to free range, plenty of room in coop. Birds also get plenty of oyster shell and granite grit.

Am at my wits end, will have to either keep chickens penned up, which I probably won't do, or get out of the chicken hobby for good, after 29 years.

Any suggestions.

WVa Dave
Post edited by DAVID178 4/9/2017 6:43 AM
4/8/2017 5:36 PM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
I would assume they are digging there for a reason. One might be that there are a lot of good things to eat in the dirt there. Another might be that the dirt there is good for dust baths.

If the area isn't too awfully large you might be able to lay chicken wire on the bank. That should stop them from digging. If that is going to cost too much I really don't know of any other way to stop them from digging.
4/9/2017 6:22 PM report abuse
DAVID178
Score: 0
Thanks, and I think you are at least partially right. They seem to dig most in places where crown vetch was planted 20-some years ago. Maybe they like the tubers? Have tried plastic mesh netting on a limited basis and it works, so will probably have to expand.

Just was wondering if there was something nutrition wise that I was missing, but can't imagine what it could be.
4/10/2017 6:19 AM report abuse