Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> Week old baby chicks loosing fur

Topic: Week old baby chicks loosing fur (2 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Week old baby chicks loosing fur (2 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
CHASITYG
Score: 0
What could be the problem I just got these chicks yesterday. One of them has a patch on its bottom where the fur is gone. I used a damp paper towel to get the matted feces off. What could be causing this and what do I need to do to take care of it.
4/8/2017 7:03 PM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
It sounds as if your chick has what is called pasty butt. Some of their fuzz does come off when you clean them, but they will be growing feathers to replace the fuzz. I had 2 a couple years ago that ended up with bald butts for a time. They became lovely chickens with no bald spot. I'm not sure why some chicks seem to get pasty butt. It should go away in a few days. Cleaning them with a damp cloth several times a day is necessary. You might try putting some olive oil on their vent area to help keep the feces from sticking and make it easier to remove them.
4/19/2017 10:59 PM report abuse