Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Feed -> Gluten Free Chicken Feed

Topic: Gluten Free Chicken Feed (3 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Gluten Free Chicken Feed (3 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
SANDRAM
Score: 2
I have celiac disease (intolerance to gluten). I have found that the dust in their feed makes me sick. Has anyone ever heard of gluten free chicken feed or what other grains or feeds that you can give to layers/broilers besides the usual? Thanks!
6/21/2012 8:24 PM report abuse
BARBARAC
Score: 3
I make my own feed from a combination of grains, greens, meat, etc. It would be easy enough to make up a feed using gluten free grains (like corn, buckwheat, millet,...) legumes (field peas (I soak or cook them first) or lentils), greens (I found chopped alfalfa and sugar beet shreds work well in the winter), meat scraps (we hunt and save butchery scraps and unwanted organ meats which I simmer and chop) &/or dairy (sour milk, yogurt, cottage cheese) and yeast and salt. I do not grind anything, so that cuts down on dust and after the mix is made I pour warm water over it all and make a mashlike glop. The chickens love it, lay like crazy and are beautiful and healthy. I would also recommend reading through chicken keeping books from around the turn of the 20th century. I found lots of hints for feeding chickens before commercial feed was popular. It really is not that difficult and common sense works well. Chickens are really just feathered pigs and can eat almost anything we can! Good luck.
3/31/2013 8:46 AM report abuse
TINAC
Score: 160
they do well on barley and oats and corn
4/13/2013 5:25 PM report abuse