Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Texas -> Our First Chickens here in Texas!!

Topic: Our First Chickens here in Texas!! (9 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Our First Chickens here in Texas!! (9 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
LYDIAJ
Score: 2
We are just starting out with our first chickens. They are only two weeks old and growing tremendously!! I love feeding them snacks everyday and holding them while we watch the news (Fox News of course). I'm a bit worried about making our coop safe from racoons. I've heard that there are tons of racoons here.
6/21/2012 10:01 PM report abuse

Ruth
Score: 48
Good luck! Hope you love them!
7/18/2012 3:52 PM report abuse

JoeC57
Score: 10
Good Luck with your birds. We're in central Texas and skunks and owls have been our biggest predators.
7/18/2012 5:43 PM report abuse
BRYANM
Score: 13
make sure you lock them up at night in a secured well built coop and you should not have a problem with the coons. they are mainly out at night and they will eat the eggs and go after the chickens to. We had a coon get 9 of our hens this past fall before I got her. needless to say I MAKE SURE the coop is locked up even when I am working now.
7/21/2012 9:22 AM report abuse
APRILF
Score: 16
We lived in West Texas for two years on ranch. Coons are very smart. Be careful they cannot dig under your coop. We had a massacre one m
Night while out of town. The coons got 18. We wised up. Also, make sure no wire (chicken/small wire) at bottom of coop with young chickens in there. Coons reached hands through wiring goofy babies did not move away and coons pulled legs off some and actually pulled some chicks through wiring. Also problem with chicken hawks, badgers and owls just at dusk before chickens going into coop for night. I will say after those early months nothing got our chickens again!! We are great with a rifle!
11/8/2012 3:55 PM report abuse
MAYLYNNW
our 15 hens and 1 roo hop up on real high roosts in the feed room of our barn between the horse stalls. they come and go all day under a gap under the feed room door. they also sometimes go under the fence to the neighbors cow pasture. we've lost one that went under the fence and disappeared. we feel like a coyote got it. we lost one in our own pasture and we saw the coyote taking it. now we have a young jenny and they are supposed to attack coyotes. we've had chickens now for about 2 years and we had rat snacks stealing eggs that a couple of hens were sitting on. other than that we were able to let the hens hatch out 5 chicks. those chicks are now laying!
2/11/2013 11:48 AM report abuse

DIANEH
Score: 1
We built our coop off the ground and haven't had any problems, hawks are a big problem, They got four of my chickens before put Rocky the scarecrow out on a chair to watch over them, haven't seem them since! I'm watching for them. My first chickens and am loving it!
6/19/2013 4:22 PM report abuse
BEVERLY1
Main thing is to have them locked up by nightime! Too many things go "Bump" in the night! I've seen all types of predators after my chickens: Possum, Coons, Fox, Coyote, snakes, hawks and the worst of all is the Neighbors dogs! They will all kill your birds!

We have put up fences (which helps some), but most of the animals can dig in and jump over the fence. A good hot wire at the bottom and top really helps a lot!

We have put boards around the bottom of out coop to keep them from digging in and we used nothing but hardcloth wire for everything else....no snakes, coons, possum, etc. etc.

Another thing here in Texas you need to keepp in mind is the HEAT!!!! Our coops are open air coops to keep them healthy and cooler too. It never really gets cold enough here in Texas to need a closed in coop. Much better if you keep it open. They won't get sick as much! We also put sand in the coops and misters on the outside of the coop buildings to help drop the temperature for them and the sand stays wet and cool for them to lay down in. I also bring frozen water bottles and frozen fruit out to them every day. They love watermelon, cantaloupes, cucumbers, etc.etc. The hardest is the summer here in Texas.....our winters are a piece of cake for the chickens....it's the summer heat that will take your chickens out the fastest! You too....so be sure to wear some type of hat and plenty of sunscreen!!!!

Here's a pic of our coop!
7/11/2013 9:27 PM report abuse
FLOYDW
Score: 9
Racoons have been a problems for us also. We have seen Hawks and Eagle so retry close up. We live on a Lake and they are very plentiful. After our Raccon attack I started trapping racoons and finally stopped at fourty yes fourty. Our neighbor we found out had an automatic feeder out for her cats and the raccoons etc where eating there also. We did not irradiate all of the coons a neighbor had two in their attic this week.
So when we built our coop I used 1/2 by 1 inch welded wire and some powder coated steel panels with 1/2 inch barring. We als built it up off of the ground but they can go into a yard or under the coopl the yard has a wire roof on it to stop them from climbing in during the day and also keeping the Hawks and owls out also.
We do ?ock ours up at night in our Fort Know Coop or I am afraid we Would loose chickens to predators. So far using the small wire we have not had problems with snakes.
Love Keeping Chickens!
3/12/2015 3:45 PM report abuse