Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Breeds -> "Mystery Chick"

Topic: "Mystery Chick" (7 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
"Mystery Chick" (7 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
ALLISON5
Score: 0
Anyone have a guess at what our free exotic chick is? Also, when will I be able to tell if it's a hen or a rooster?
Post edited by ALLISON5 5/7/2017 12:28 PM
5/4/2017 7:57 PM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
Without a picture it's impossible to tell what breed your chick might be. You should know around 8 weeks old if it's male or female for most breeds of chicks. For most breeds the comb of a male at 8 weeks will be turning red and might be larger than the combs of the females depending on the breed. Of course, there are a few breeds where sexing might take longer. I normally expect that the free chick will most likely be male as there are more males than females that hatch and are not purchased.

Two years ago I got a Buff Laced Polish cockerel for my mystery chick. This year I got a Blue Cochin. Since it's only 5 weeks old I don't know what sex it is yet.
5/4/2017 8:49 PM report abuse
Farmer Girl 11
Score: 2
Could you give a description or post some pictures?
5/6/2017 2:58 PM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
I agree with Farmer Girl. Need to have pictures to guess what breed your chick might be. Depending on breed you should know by the time a chick is 8 weeks old whether it's male or female. You'll notice that a cockerel's comb is red, and a pullet's comb is still pale. A pullet's comb will stay pale until just before she is ready to lay. A very few breeds are difficult to sex until they are 6 months old, but there are only a few of those.
5/6/2017 4:15 PM report abuse
ALLISON5
Score: 0
He is dark brown like cocoa, with a darker brown/nearly black patch down his back. The fluff around his eyes is black, and his "cheeks" are very fluffy. I have tried to post a picture a few times but I am getting a message that the post needs to be reviewed by a moderator first.
Post edited by ALLISON5 5/7/2017 12:29 PM
5/7/2017 12:27 PM report abuse
Farmer Girl 11
Score: 2
It is hard to say since there isn't a picture, but it sounds like a Dark Cornish or maybe a Golden Laced Wyandotte. It is probably easier to tell is it is a hen or rooster when it gets about a month old. the rooster usually start to get little wattles and their comb is larger and darker red while the hens comb is smaller and a lighter red,.
Post edited by Farmer Girl 11 5/8/2017 4:32 PM
5/8/2017 3:47 PM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
In general I always assume that the free mystery chick will be male. Most people want females so there would be more males left over that would be put in the give away bin. In the chicken forums where I am a member I can only remember one time someone said they got a female as the mystery chick.

There are exceptions. I got some chicks from MM 5 weeks ago. My mystery chick is still not showing any signs of being a cockerel. The comb is not growing large and the comb is not even pink yet. However, we'll wait it out until it's 8 weeks old to be sure.
5/8/2017 4:27 PM report abuse