Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> Mixing breeds

Topic: Mixing breeds (3 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Mixing breeds (3 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
MARIA/MARKH
Score: 1
Agreed to free rare chick with purchase of bargain brown eggs layers lost a few chicks the first few days , that was expected with transit
The rare chick ( top hat) quickly became a favorite
However the heavy breeds have attacked the feathers that make her special
She will likely die because we found her weakened and bald
She is in bad shape we have isolated her from the rest of the flock but realize what is to happen
My request to mcmurray would be to add info on the possibilities of mixing breeds that don't look alike and what owners can do to prevent
5/13/2017 4:35 PM report abuse
MARK73
Score: 3
I can relate to this issue. Many new poultry keepers may not know to separate or carefully monitor mixed flocks for problems, especially as related to pecking and flogging of smaller breeds or breeds with visibility issues ,like top hatters have, in regards to their more limited sight. It would be nice that MMH warn new customers of this possibility when offering a free chick , or indeed when they place an order for mixed breeds of any number. While I have had mixed flocks often for many years with only occasional problems, they certainly do arise when some breeds are thrown together! This type of behavior can occur even within the same breed of chicks, spontaneously ,it seems, at times! Daily, careful observation of all of your birds is advised, so that early intervention can be initiated when excessive pecking is observed. It is more often a problem in mixed flocks, crowded or restricted runs and coops, when temperatures are extreme, or when there is too little food or water. However, this is pretty normal chicken behavior, just the way of life for miniature dinosaurs with tiny pea size brains! Try some pine tar or other aide on the victims,(liberally applied!) to both heal, repel flies and discourage repeated pecking if you do try and return the injured bird to the general flock. It has worked for me about 50% of the time. Good Luck with your savaged bird!
5/13/2017 6:29 PM report abuse
ANNETTEC
Score: 1
My flock is nothing but mixed. 17 chicks 17 different breeds. We also got a free Top Hat Roo! the females would peck at his head all the time, then I read that you can put blue food coloring on eggs for identification and that they do not tend to peck at it. So my poor guy got a blue Top Hat Color dye! It reduced the pecking dramatically! I just had to reapply....and it was a sight to see!
7/24/2017 9:13 PM report abuse