Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Breeds -> Cold weather layers

Topic: Cold weather layers (11 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Cold weather layers (11 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
TimR
Score: 92
So, which are better cold weather layers, Red Stars or Black Stars? And, if they are the best winter layers, do they have trouble with high temperatures in the summer?
6/21/2012 10:43 PM report abuse
RAS
Score: 6
Either breed make hardy cold weather layers. All cold hardy laying hens do fine in summer weather as well.
6/22/2012 3:54 PM report abuse
TimR
Score: 92
Thank you Ruth. Can't wait to order next spring.
6/22/2012 9:58 PM report abuse

The Walrus
Score: 26
you can't go wrong with either of them. they both rock!
7/6/2012 8:48 AM report abuse
MATTHEWB
Score: 21
In hot weather, watch out for breeds that have large ear flaps, combs, and or waddles. That is usually a sign of a bird that won't tolerate heat as well.
9/4/2012 2:09 PM report abuse
TRAVISE
Score: 2
i have 4 red stars. i have a light on them 16 hours a day. i havent got a egg from them in over 2 weeks. the cold really efects them. i have 1 out of 5 oeg bantam that is giving me one egg a day.
1/10/2013 10:42 PM report abuse
WILLIAM7
Score: 3
FAIRBANKS, AK
We have 4 black stars in our flock of barred rocks. Each is laying an egg per day. We run a day light for 14 to 16 hours and a red light in between. They are fed and watered inside and we are careful to keep the humidity low. There is an open chicken door to the coop at all times but they never go out. We try to keep the hen house between 0 and 20 degrees fahrenheit.
Post edited by WILLIAM7 1/25/2013 3:35 AM
1/25/2013 3:34 AM report abuse
LOREEM
Score: 0
I don't have any black stars (on order, tho) but my Auracana's are by far better winter layers than any other thing in my hen house. They are not as good in the summer, but they even out the eggs by laying in the winter!
2/21/2013 10:58 AM report abuse
TINAC
Score: 160
depends on your weether -- the black stars are great layers --- but with the cold winters we had in alaska - they had more issues with frozen toes than others did
4/13/2013 1:09 PM report abuse
TOM OR CHRISTINAN
Score: 1
We have Pearl Whites. they are great layers, but the weather has dropped to 18 - 19 degrees at night and not more than 50 during the day. They have dropped off production. Does the cold weather have something to do with this. We want to cover them up more, but it would be rather dark with only one entrance open. we have a lot of wind here in the High Desert in California and we need covering that will not blow away. How much light do they need?
12/31/2015 6:23 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
They need 14-16 hours of daylight.
1/4/2016 12:33 PM report abuse