Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Feed -> Crumbles or pellets?

Topic: Crumbles or pellets? (11 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Crumbles or pellets? (11 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
NANCYV
Score: 2
What's the difference btwn crunbles and pellets? I'm using crumbles now but my chickens don't like the "dust" at the bottom of the feeder. I end up collecting it and adding water to it (like an oatmeal), then they eat it.
6/22/2012 8:27 AM report abuse

Ruth
Score: 48
Our chickens don't like the dust, but they also don't like the pellets. They like the crumble. We put some cracked corn in with the crumble and they seem to like that.
6/23/2012 1:55 PM report abuse

KASSANDRA
Score: 29
STANWOOD, WA
The difference (according to my local feed store) is just how it's processed. "Pellets" are similar to rabbit feed whereas the "crumbles" are basically broken up "pellets". They generally have the same nutritional value its just the form they come in that varies.

My hens like the dust from the crumbles but when I have extra (say at the bottom of the feed storage bin) I use that as a 'treat' in their yard to get them to scratch around in certain areas.
6/26/2012 3:33 PM report abuse

The Walrus
Score: 26
you will find that the pellets make for a much cleaner coop. the dust from the crumbles ends up coating everything. it took a while for the chix to agree to eat the pellets, but once they did they are fine with it. and i'm happier with the less dust.
i also think there's less waste with the pellets.
7/12/2012 4:12 PM report abuse
BRYANM
Score: 13
I also use the pellets with my chickens due to them being less waste. I start all my chickens with the starter crumbles and switch to the pellets when they go to the main coop and never had a problem with them eating the pellets.
7/21/2012 9:08 AM report abuse
APRILF
Score: 16
We started out with crumbles but agree too much dust and the morning dew would gum up. They acted like the pellets were too big, but after I saw them swallowing bugs half the size of their head with one gulp I knew they can deal with a tiny pellet! They have been on pellets for over a year now seem just fine with the pellets!
11/8/2012 4:32 PM report abuse
NANCYD
My laying hens picked through the crumbles, eating the larger pieces, then shoveled the rest out of the feeder with their beaks. There was a lot of waste. The small particles were hardly visible once they fell into the shavings. With pellets, the hens are getting ALL of the nutrients in the feed, as they can't "peck and choose" to eat only part of it. The pellets are also easy for them to spot if they've fallen into the shavings. I don't think the hens enjoy the pellets as much as they did the crumbles, but they eventually got used to it and are certainly very healthy.
7/24/2013 1:48 PM report abuse

WalkerC
Score: 22
CAMBRIDGE, WI
I have 20 acres in rural Cambridge where I hobby farm. I have chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, cats, dogs, goats, a horse and a miniature donkey.
My girls love pellets. They have all the crumbles they could possibly want but as soon as I go to feed the goats their pellets I basically get ran over as the hens rush to get some!
7/24/2013 4:13 PM report abuse
KYLE4
Score: 21
I give mine a choice, I keep a 22lb feeder full of pellets and another filled with scratch. I find that they, like us, get tired of eating the same thing day after day. Plus scratch has several different seeds and grains that they would naturally find in the wild
8/6/2013 4:27 PM report abuse
JEREMYB
Score: 0
At what age is it good to switch from crumble to pellets? I've watched my birds swallow night crawlers like its nothing. I think they are ready, just wanted some advice.
7/11/2014 6:07 AM report abuse
NANCYD
Jeremy, I would say any time after your chickens have reached full size (at least 4 months old).
7/11/2014 11:29 AM report abuse