Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> Hen that eats other hens eggs

Topic: Hen that eats other hens eggs (8 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Hen that eats other hens eggs (8 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
CHERYLR
Score: 2
I have a 2 year old Large Black Hen which lays beautiful brown eggs everyday. The other hen is a Barred Rock, she will not lay eggs in the nest she goes to the corner and then after she lays the egg, ol' Blackie sneaks over and eats the egg. they are on commercial food, and have grit and oyster shells. Any advise on how to stop the egg eating???
6/25/2012 10:40 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Chickens can get into the "habit" of eating the eggs... You may have to debeak the chicken that is doing the eating of the eggs.. It is a bit difficult to stop it once they have started doing it..
6/25/2012 3:30 PM report abuse
KRISTIND
Score: 34
Debeaking is cruel and should be avoided. It is a difficult habit to fix once it has started. It sounds like you have actually watched this happen and know that it is, in fact, another hen eating the eggs rather than a rodent or the hen that laid it. Sometimes if the shell is weak they will crack the egg and clean up the mess. From what you said, you give them oyster shell so weak shells probably isn't your problem. Try putting "curtains" up in front of the nesting boxes. This can be actual curtains or feed bags tacked up. Out of sight, out of mind. Sometimes this helps. Also, try putting golf balls in the nest. 2 or 3 per nest. If the hen pecks at them and they don't crack she may eventually just give up. Collect eggs as soon and as often as possible. It is possible that the hen just isn't getting enough protein from the feed. While you should NEVER give the hens raw egg, cooked egg would be fine to give them. Chopped hard boiled or scrambled egg would give them more protein and perhaps curb her craving. Raw egg should be avoided because it is best for them to never realize that the eggs are tasty to begin with. I hope this helps! Sometimes if they just won't stop no matter what you do it is necessary to cull them. The other hens tend to learn by example and you don't want a whole flock of egg eaters. Good luck!
6/25/2012 8:29 PM report abuse

JoeC57
Score: 10
We find the one that is pecking eggs by putting an egg on the floor. The one that goes for it is then isolated away from eggs for 2 weeks. That is normally enough time to break the habit.
6/27/2012 2:56 PM report abuse
KRISTIW
Score: 3
Periodically we have had the hens eat eggs. We have stopped it by feeding them mustard eggs. The first time we knocked holes in the egg shells and filled them with mustard and let the hens eat them. They find them disgusting. Now I just take the two halves from cracking an egg normally and fill it up with mustard. I quickly flip it on the floor or ground and the hens come running. Even though they eventually finish off the shell, after a few eggs a few days in a row they won't touch them any longer. And I start to find eggs sitting on the floor of the coop again - meaning no one is eating the unprotected eggs.
7/17/2012 9:09 PM report abuse
BRYANM
Score: 13
Isolating her from the others for a couple weeks is best to do chickens do learn from other chickens. I have not had a problem with chickens eating good eggs in a couple years and my girls feed them any cracked egg they find.
8/26/2012 1:05 PM report abuse
BARBARA8
Score: 1
I had a problem with egg eating chickens last year but solved it this year. I'd made nesting boxes that sat about 9" off the ground. This made it too easy for the egg eating (I think a rooster started it) chicken(s) to spy a newly laid egg and devour it. This year I raised each nesting box using a cheap plastic shelving unit: the stacking type with plastic legs that insert into each shelf. That gave me 4 little "tables" which sat about 20" off the ground plus the 9" nest box legs. Raising the nesting boxes to an inconvenient height has eliminated egg eating. Where I was only getting 3 or 4 eggs a day last year, I am now getting 8 to 10 a day from the same 12 hens.
5/9/2014 8:24 AM report abuse
FRANKC
Score: 2
I changed my nesting boxes to rollout boxes. Seemed to stop egg eating.
5/22/2016 9:10 PM report abuse