Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Incubating & Hatching Eggs -> Incubator(best)

Topic: Incubator(best) (14 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Incubator(best) (14 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
ANNMARIEH
Score: 2
Hello I have a THERMAL AIR FLOW MODEL HOVA-BATORTM INCUBATOR But I didn't get the best hatch rate. Does anyone know of an incubator that's less than $200 and gets 95-100% hatch rate and can hold 40-70 small chicken eggs? Thanks so much!!
6/25/2012 10:53 PM report abuse
MELINDAP
You have a good incubator already. I have the one with the fan, which I use for incubating, and the one without the fan which I use to put the eggs when when I noticed they've pipped. I didn't start off with the best hatch rate either, but as I gained experience the rate got better. Sometimes the bad hatch rate can be the eggs themselves, or even the humidity in the incubator. If the humidity is low they don't hatch as good but will be developed chicks inside. How did your eggs turn out? I've also noticed thru the years that if the weather has been really rainy when the eggs were laid, they don't hatch very well. Why? I have no idea. Also, did you use an automatic egg turner? I've never used one but some folks I know have and the hatch rates were horrible.
7/11/2012 10:25 PM report abuse
CHRISTINEG
I agreed with MelinaP, that you have the best incubator. I have used that incubator with an automatic egg turner and added a device to check the humidity in the incubator. I hatched button quail and had 100 percent hatching. You also need a thermonitor to make sure you are keeping your eggs the correct temperature.
11/8/2012 10:19 PM report abuse
KEITHE
Score: 3
I have two incubators I bought from Tractor Supply. I upgraded them with the fan kit and auto egg turners. My success rate is quite poor. I'm lucky if half or any of the eggs hatch at all. I'm thinking about upgrading to one the High Hatch Incubator. Does anyone have success with them?
1/29/2013 10:48 PM report abuse
JOHNNYO
Score: 4
I have found that the egg quality, temperature in the incubator, and humidity in the incubator are more important than the type incubator. You have the best small incubator of the styrofoam type. I use an automatic egg turner and the fan kit and usually have about an 80% hatch rate.
2/21/2013 5:56 PM report abuse
CARYLB
Score: 1
I have used both the styrofoam incubators from Tractor Supply with the egg turners and I also have a GCF cabinet incubator. The styrofoam work fine, but you have to really pay attention to the temperature and humidity. If the temperature of the room you have the incubator in fluctuates, you aren't going to get as good a hatch in the styrofoam type incubators. I put them in a room with a constant temperature, got the incubator at the correct temperature and then didn't touch the temp regulator at all and got 90% hatches--if I was vigilant about the humidity. I got the cabinet, just because of the quantities I'm now hatching.
2/27/2013 7:08 AM report abuse
TRAVISH
I have used a lot of incubators but i will tell you the: 1588 PICTURE WINDOW PRE-SET ELECTRONIC HOVA-BATOR WITH FAN is the best one out there for home use. The other ones you have to set the temps and mess with all that and its a pain. I get 98% - 100% hatch rate every time with this one. I have hatched over 15 flocks with this one and its been dead on every time. Get the auto turner with it and you never have to touch them only to add water for the humidity and take them out the turner 2 days before of course.
3/6/2013 11:38 AM report abuse
ROBINH
You all are some serious hatchers! I have only done this on a small scale but have had a 98% success rate overall with my homemade Styrofoam incubator. Last year I bought the Brinsea Octagon 20 and have also had great success with it, hatching chicks, ducklings and goslings. I'm currently incubating 11 Ancona duck eggs in the Brinsea and will use the styrobator as a brooder. I've never used an automatic turner but think the fan is imperative.
4/8/2013 8:40 AM report abuse
GAILH
Score: 7
I have the styrofoam incubators. One is still air & one has fan. Both have egg turners. The one key factor that you really need to pay attention to along with the temperature is the humidity. I have found putting a little shallow flat type dish, even an old sterilized ash tray that will fit into the corner of the incubator & is just barely short enough to fit under the wire mest & keep the water in it, is a much easier way to provide & control the humidity in BOTH incubators rather than pouring the water into the little channels of the styro bottoms. Not to mention it is much easier to fill being in the corner where you can pour the water without it getting on the eggs -- a kitchen baster works well for this too.
6/12/2013 11:51 PM report abuse
KYLE4
Score: 21
agree with Johnny, really dosnt matter about the incubator so much as the other stuff. It needs to be 98/99 degrees, turn the eggs, circulated air, and water, and they will hatch. I used to fool with those Styrofoam ones from GQF, which are much better than tractor supply, and got tired of all the hassle. I ended up with a GQF 1202 cabinet, it was well worth it, all you do is add water every few days
7/5/2013 4:41 PM report abuse
RHONDAA
I have the GCF 1588 Forced Air Picture Window incubator that you have. I had horrible hatch rates on my first 3 tries (try, zero for the first 2, and finally got a turkey to hatch on the last one), but I discovered through trial and error, and asking questions on other forums that it was the pre-set temperature on my unit that was wrong. I have come across 3 other people who had the same problem, and one of them has been hatching for years. That person advised me to bump my preset to 101.2 degrees, in order to get it to read at 99.5 at the level the eggs sat at. That's how I was able to get the 1 turkey to hatch at day 27. I had 5 others that would've hatched had I not fussed with the temperature at lockdown, because it was no longer reading 99.5 but 97 degrees during lockdown, because I took them out of the auto-turner, which raised them higher in the turner. I boosted it so high getting it to read 99.5 at the level, I cooked the turkey poults and killed them. :( Now, I've got 54 eggs in there, no auto-turner because I have so many of them (the turner only holds 42, and you shouldn't use the position next to the motor because it gets too hot there, so in reality, 41 eggs). I'm turning by hand, 5 times a day, to increase hatchability. Today is day 5, and I'm already seeing circulatory systems during candling, and I didn't turn for the first 3 days because of detached air cells on the shipped eggs I received. So, long story short, try boosting your temperature up to 101.2 degrees, it could be the pre-set is reading wrong. My first 2 hatches, I waited until 28 days for the all-chickens to hatch. The 3rd was all turkeys, and they incubate for 28 days, not 21 for chickens. At day 28, it was over for the turkeys, but on day 25 for the 2nd hatch of chickens, I did get 1 to hatch, with assistance, but it was 4 days late, and very weak, so she only lived 6 days and died.
Post edited by RHONDAA 7/23/2013 4:51 PM
7/23/2013 4:47 PM report abuse
JOHNNYO
I am hatching OEG bantams and Wyandotte Bantams I have had a 95% hatch rate with the OEGs and about a 30% hatch rate with the Wyandottes in the same incubator at the same time. This tells me that it is the fertility of the eggs causing the difference. Last year the rates were almost identical. I have no way of explaining this. I have found that with any incubator you need to place a thermometer/hygrometer at the level that the eggs will be and adjust the temp to 99-100 and the humidity to 45%-55% before putting the eggs in the incubator. After the eggs are in, allow 24 to 36 hours for the temp and humidity to stabilize. Patience is the key to success! The only thing you need to do then is add water to keep the humidity between 45% and 50% untill day 18, then raise it to about 60% to 65% I use an egg turner, so this is the when I take the eggs out of the turner. Again, patience is the key!!
7/23/2013 8:07 PM report abuse
JOHNNYO
In my previous post I stated that you should keep the humidity between 45 and 50% for the first 18 days. I meant to say between 45 and 55%. Sorry about the typo.
7/23/2013 8:14 PM report abuse
Demetri
Score: 8
I have a still air incubator and I hade 42 eggs only 13 hatched. I have2 runts
5/23/2014 8:54 PM report abuse