Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> Perishing Cornish (not meat Crosses)--ideas?

Topic: Perishing Cornish (not meat Crosses)--ideas? (4 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Perishing Cornish (not meat Crosses)--ideas? (4 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
WILLIAMW
Score: 2
Hello,

I have also posed this question to the hatchery via email, but thought perhaps some others in the forums could help? The story is this:

I ordered and received 130 male birds in March (the 26th). I had around 100 cornish (not meat crosses, full breeds) and 25 black Jersey Giants. I am raising them as meat birds as an alternative to the rocks crosses. The birds have done well up until now, and just lately (over the last week or so) I have begun to lose birds at the rate of about 1 per day. I am a little at a loss as to what could be causing this.

Most of the birds look good and have a nice shine to their feathers and they do go out during the day to scratch, etc. The flock as a whole is pretty active, however, I have just now started to notice that there are one or two that appear sluggish and sit a bit ruffled, and that their hind-end/tail feathering is a little rough and picked-looking. Now, I did have all of these birds vaccinated for coccidiosis when I bought them. I had trouble in the past with birds from a different hatchery that brought in coccidiosis, so I made sure to have them vaccinated. To me, the few that are showing any sign present in similar fashion to coccidiosis, but I have not noticed any signs of off-colored feces or blood in feces, and because they are vacc'd this should be out of the question.

I'm wondering a couple of things--

-first, is there anything else this sounds like? I've tried looking it up but clearly the symptoms could be a few different things, although looking on a symptomatic basis coccidiosis, if I didn't know they were vaccinated, would be my first guess.

--secondly, I was talking last week with a feed rep and I think she mentioned (which I didn't think much about at the time), that meat bird grower feeds were not good for layers because it can bind them up. I do have these birds on a broiler crumble--could this possibly be my issue, since these are not a broiler breed but a "real" chicken breed? Could they be getting so bound as to cause death?

--Lastly, since medicated feed (which they have NOT received, so has not negated the vaccine)will neg the vacc, if I treat them with amprolium will this also nullify the vacc? Or is there another antibiotic or something I should try (these are not being raised as organic).

Thank you for you help!!

Mary & William Ward
6/28/2012 7:01 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Are you giving them grit? Also possibly look into external parasites or worms....
6/28/2012 1:23 PM report abuse
WILLIAMW
Score: 2
No, no grit. Will look into that. Oyster shell?
6/28/2012 3:31 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Oyster Shell is for calcium for Laying Hens..
Add a vitamins to their diet as well.
6/28/2012 3:44 PM report abuse