Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter your name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
The first ship date for everything in your cart is .
ALERT: Our 800 number is currently down. Please contact us at 515.832.3280.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Breeds -> Crossing Breeds

Topic: Crossing Breeds (3 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Crossing Breeds (3 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
RichardBenfield
Score: 0
Does anyone have experience with crossing two different breeds consistently? If I order a rooster of one breed and I get several hens all of one breed (but different than the rooster) and hatch out their eggs regularly, will I have a consistent hybrid? I would suspect I will not get a consistent breed unless I go through multiple generations. I'm just curious.
11/8/2020 11:24 PM report abuse
RichardBenfield
Score: 0
I'm less concerned with consistent feather colors and patterns. More about things like the Egg size and color of hens raised, and or temperament, size/shape, how long to maturity, etc.
11/8/2020 11:26 PM report abuse
yeshualand
Score: 1
In my experience it takes some generations of selection of your crosses to stabilize a new type. Use your rooster to determine egg quality and color. I know, weird, huh? My daughter made up a breed that was ameraucana rooster on New Hampshire Reds. Jumbo eggs in dark green color and really large offspring. After selecting and crossing back those hen offspring to young rooster offspring many times selecting for an egg that would fit in a standard egg carton she finally achieved a stable color of hen and egg, but could not get the bird size smaller. A fun experiment, but time and careful observance is a must!
3/31/2021 11:08 AM report abuse