Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Homesteading -> Any one raising Pigs ,Rabbits etc.

Topic: Any one raising Pigs ,Rabbits etc. (5 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Any one raising Pigs ,Rabbits etc. (5 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
DANL
Score: 24
Fort Jones, CA
My wife and I have been raising pigs & rabbits,beef,turkeys,meat chickens,laying hens,and a very good sized garden.I am having a blast with it.We try to grow & raise every thing we eat
7/3/2012 11:48 AM report abuse
SOLYMARM
Score: 1
my husband an I are tring to start at the same, some 15 chikens come in sping to start and vegetable garden we already have some fruit trees, pigs I dont know about that a goat yeah turkey maybee
1/25/2013 7:15 AM report abuse
JOHN16
Score: 0
johnhattabaugh@gmail.com
BOONEVILLE, AR
same here but still looking for some piglets looking like the sale barn
2/6/2013 8:40 AM report abuse
BONNIEC
Score: 0
We raised meat rabbits for years. There are good and bad things about rabbits. They are delicate and a lot can go wrong fast resulting in lots of dead rabbits, usually a problem with the feed supplier. For example, the brand we were buying started adding corn. Corn will kill a rabbit. Causes overgrowth of bad bacteria in the gut. I also never could get past the cute and fuzzy factor, even though I got where I could have a live rabbit ready for the pot in 8 minutes. We now raise American Guinea Hogs and they are a perfect fit for us as a meat animal. Easy, almost completely self sufficient if on oak forest and pasture. And while a new born is cute, there is nothing cute and fuzzy about a mature hog! Guinea hogs are only about half the size of commercial pigs. We butcher at around 125lbs at 6 months. We butcher on farm ourselves, partly because our state (NC) requires government issued tags to transport hogs and we do not tag, but I digress...The meat is incredible and they produce lots of valuable lard which can be used for everything from food to candles! We raise heritage Standard White Cornish chickens, but they are very slow growing. We are looking for a heritage non-hybrid meat bird that reaches butcher weight in a reasonable amount of time. If anyone could advise us on this, we'd appreciate it!
Post edited by BONNIEC 3/24/2015 12:53 PM
3/24/2015 12:43 PM report abuse
CYRILK
Score: 1
We have small livestock for DIY.

Soay Sheep and Potbelly Pigs
www.windridgefarm.us
6/23/2015 1:09 PM report abuse