Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Coops -> How many chickens?

Topic: How many chickens? (10 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
How many chickens? (10 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
MICHAELE
Score: 3
I have a 8' x 12' coop and an attached 12' x 25' run. How many chickens (full size egg layers) may I have?
7/8/2012 8:28 PM report abuse

The Walrus
Score: 26
well, they SAY you only need 3 sq.ft. per bird, so if you do the math you could house 32 chix. personally, that seems pretty cramped and i have never subscribed to that "3 sq.ft. rule". would you want to be in a room where you only had 3 sq.ft. to yourself? i don't think so. and i doubt the chickens would either.
i've got 30 chix in a 10'x30' coop with a fenced run of 30'x25'. i could squeeze alot more in there, but i'm a "personal space" kind of guy so i like to give 'em plenty of room. they haven't told me this, but i assume they like it better that way.
7/12/2012 4:07 PM report abuse
BRYANM
Score: 13
I have a 8'x8' coop with 7 nesting boxes with a perch rail in front of them an old 8' wood ladder cut in half for perch and a fenced in 18'x24' fenced in yard for them with a 8'x8' introduction pen for the new chickens. This setup has worked for me with 37 chickens at one time with no problems even thru the winter months.
7/21/2012 9:03 AM report abuse
MATTHEWB
Score: 21
I have 2 8'x8' coop/pens. One has 9 Hens each night, the other has 2 young pullets, 3 roosters, and 9 hens including my setting hen, as that is how they decide they want to roost. Daytimes, they are ALL running all over the free world, with the exception of the setting game hen, who only gets down for about 15-20 minutes per day, when she's setting. They stay up, occassionally, due to farmwork which might get them hurt, and they haven't but-pecked any, so I assume that they are intelligent enough to realize that the crowding isn't permanent. I may be giving them too much credit, but they've been living this routine for about 2 years, now. I increase numbers as they hatch, and the decrease when a varmint managed to beat me. I rid the area of many varmints...they don't beat me very often.
9/4/2012 3:51 PM report abuse

MIKEK
Score: 7
Does anyone have any input on the correct ratio of nest boxes to hens?
9/21/2012 5:04 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
You should have 1 nest per every 5 hens.
9/24/2012 8:32 AM report abuse

MIKEK
Score: 7
Thanks. right now I have 4 boxes to 20 hens, so sounds like I'm good there. Would there be any benofit to adding aditional boxes? giving them more space.
9/24/2012 10:02 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
I have 6 nest boxes available for my hens (16 of them) and they still only use the same 3-4 boxes everyday. So, it's up to you but not necessary unless you plan on having more birds later.
9/24/2012 10:11 AM report abuse
APRILF
Score: 16
Forget anymore boxes. I have 30 chickens and they all lay in two boxes!! I have 12 boxes and they jump into together or takes turns in same box. I go to collect eggs and on some days there would be 8 eggs in one box!! if I get a broody chicken in one box I have seen others just sit on top of her to lay an egg never mind 11 other empty boxes. They take turns on what is the hot box of the week or day. Go figure those chickens! Love them all.
11/8/2012 4:27 PM report abuse
MARK73
Score: 3
For humane conditions and to keep a healthy flock never have more birds than 1 per 3-4 sq.ft.! Example: 8 x 8 ft.=64 sq.ft. = maximum of 15 adult birds( bantams slightly more, maybe 20 or so)I know people who have crowded more birds in until disease, picking, egg eating and etc. drove them out of keeping chickens! I like to provide at least 5 sq. ft. of outside run per adult bird for the same reasons, to have healthy and happy birds!
9/28/2016 4:28 PM report abuse