Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> Sick baby

Topic: Sick baby (6 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Sick baby (6 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
GREGL
Score: 6
Found one of my buff hens this morning in the house not moving laying to one side. Her eyes are open and unable to stand. Took her out of the chicken house feed her some sugar water. She seems more alert she can stand for small amounts of time now. She still can't walk. Anything else I could try.
7/17/2012 9:27 AM report abuse
SWENB
Score: 11
We are a working 40 acre farm that currently has 300 hens and more roosters, temporarily growing with the hatches. We hatch and purchase Mcmurray hatchery every year.
We also have goats, hogs, horses, collies, rhodesian ridgebacks, guinea fowl, pheasants, peafowl, geese, ducks, turkeys, and anything else you can think of.
First, make sure she didnt break any bones. Is she stiff?
She could have very well broke her spinal cord.
Post edited by SWENB 7/26/2012 8:34 PM
7/26/2012 8:33 PM report abuse
ROBERT4
Score: 0
I have a simular problem with a one day old New Hampshire Red. She could stand only for a short time before falling down. She could get up and walk but not for long. She would use other chicks to lean against. I don't know how to check for broken bones on a chick, she showed a lot of determination so I let her go on for a couple days. I started to put some pine chip litter in the cage and she did much better with walking and standing. It's been a week now and she is growing, walking and standing ok with an occasional fall. Has anyone else seen that?

Bob
9/7/2012 5:03 PM report abuse
rosaliem
I have this in one of my ducklings but she just doesn't use one leg and she hops to get food and water
9/8/2012 10:05 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
In response to the younger birds, they may have been injured in shipping. They should be ok in just a few days.
9/12/2012 8:56 AM report abuse
ROBERT4
This little chick is doing much better. They all are growing so fast!
9/12/2012 9:51 AM report abuse