Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> Runny brown stools

Topic: Runny brown stools (3 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Runny brown stools (3 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
CYNTHIAA
Score: 1
Hello,
I have 5 week old Cornish Roasters from McMurray. They have been having really runny stinky stools. It has no form at all. Is this normal for this breed? My assorted layers we ordered at same time and in same coop with roasters are all having normal stools. We have been having to wash the backsides of our Roasters because the droppings are just running down the back of them and getting caught on their feathers that are growing by their vents. They are still eating and drinking but they look miserable and dirty all the time. We can't keep up with cleaning their little tooshies at the rate they poo. Are they sick? Is it possible for us to trim their feathers in that area so that the poo doesn't get dried to their tooshies. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you. This is our first chickens we are raising.
7/19/2012 3:41 PM report abuse
JANETK
Score: 1
I live in Northern California and it's hot here right now. some of my hens have runny poo too. Not sure why either. hopefully someone from Murray McMurray will have an answer soon.
7/21/2012 4:59 PM report abuse
SWENB
Score: 11
We are a working 40 acre farm that currently has 300 hens and more roosters, temporarily growing with the hatches. We hatch and purchase Mcmurray hatchery every year.
We also have goats, hogs, horses, collies, rhodesian ridgebacks, guinea fowl, pheasants, peafowl, geese, ducks, turkeys, and anything else you can think of.
Most likely, your chickens have some type of round worms or Coccidiosis.
Capillary worms- hairlike worms that invade the crop and upper intestine, causing droopiness, weight loss, diarrhea, and sometimes death. When chickens sit around with their heads drawn in, capillary worms are the likely culprits.
Coccidiosis- in young chickens the main signs are slow growth and loose watery, off color droppings. If blodd appears in the droppings, the illness in serious-birds may survive but are unlikely to thrive. If they are hens, the egg production will decrease rapidly.
If you believe it is coccidiosis, take a sample of fresh droppings to your vet and ask for a fecal test to find out what of coccidia are involved and which medications to use. Not all medications work against all types of Coccidia and using the worng drugs can do more harm than good.
I hope I could help!
7/26/2012 8:24 PM report abuse