Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> Human head lice

Topic: Human head lice (5 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Human head lice (5 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
MICHELLEH
Score: 2
My neighbor came over last night to inform me her children have head lice. I immediately went and checked my children and they don't have it. Her husband said that the head lice came from my chickens. I'm not sure how that was even possible in the first place as their children do not go inside my coop or run area. I've been told that human head lice is a different species of lice that does not live on chickens. Human head lice can't come from chickens and chickens can't get human head lice. Is this statement true? I've had issues with my neighbors in the past when they accused me of inviting rats into their shed even though they store their garbage cans in there.
8/6/2012 9:27 AM report abuse
DANL
Score: 24
Fort Jones, CA
Sounds like you need new neighbors.We have been raising chickens for 7 years and we do not have head lice or rats,Sounds like they need to clean their act up.Stick to your guns.
8/6/2012 9:02 PM report abuse
MICHELLEH
Score: 2
I would gladly exchange my neighbors if I could. lol We had planned on getting chickens for a while. We even approached our Town Zoning about having birds in the village and they said as long as we don't exceed 10 birds and they are fenced in we can. My landlords even came over to see where we were putting the coop and run and they approved it. It's out behind our shed away from anyone so that way they wouldn't be disturbed by them making noise. We got them as 2 day old chicks from my daughter's friend's parents as they raise meat and egg birds. I thought they would be a great addition to our mixed pet family. I've done a lot of research on health and care of them before we brought them home. My neighbor claims to be a doctor and he kept insisting you can get head lice. After reading a lot of info and getting an answer here and from both my vet and pediatrician I'm believing their head lice issue is coming from one of their friends/family members and they are doing a poor job of treating it inside their own home. We keep the chickens locked with a padlock so that way nobody can just walk in. Plus, we have no trespassing signs on the door and fencing.
8/7/2012 11:52 AM report abuse
JOSEPHR
Score: 5
Chicken lice are specific for avians and human lice are very specific for children so there is no way their kids got lice from your birds. If the school nurse checks carefully she will find the source of infection is a classmate. Not to say that chicken lice will not crawl on a person if the coop is "louse-filled" but unless you have feathers instead of hair they won't set up a new colony. Joe.
3/1/2013 2:35 PM report abuse
RICK1
Score: 1
I am an exterminator for aprox. 40 years, No, chickens can not give children head lice, (different species). I am always amazed what people come up with. Chickens are a clean animal ( check the bible), they do not create flies, or any other bad things blamed on them. I still do not understand why chickens can not be kept in town. Dogs bark excessively and do breed flies. I hope someday people will grow up and realize just how important chickens are to our society. I am from Hays, Ks. I have had chickens for aprox. 50 years. I am currently breeding oriental breeds. Any body out there close to Hays with chickens? Thanks Rick
10/4/2013 3:28 PM report abuse