Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Coops -> Coop Heat?

Topic: Coop Heat? (13 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Coop Heat? (13 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
JEFFREYK
Score: 5
Does anyone out there heat their coops? Just looking for possible suggestions and ideas. Just in case we get some serious cold weather here in Ohio.
11/22/2012 8:35 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
I have a 250 watt red heat bulb plugged into a thermostatically controlled plug in. It only comes on when it gets to a certain temperature, helps save on energy and they are very inexpensive.
11/26/2012 10:42 AM report abuse
JEFFREYK
Will the red light mess up their sleeping, (roosting) habbits and keep them up all night? I have a red light in there right now but was curious about that.
11/27/2012 5:04 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
No, the red light will not effect them. If a white light is on it's too bright but the red tones it down.
11/27/2012 8:34 AM report abuse
JEFFREYK
Thanks for your help.
11/28/2012 3:45 AM report abuse

Moot
Score: 6
McMurray Hatchery, can you describe how you positioned the light? i.e., height from floor, in corner or center of coop, etc... maybe post a picture? oh, and what model/brand thermostat?
11/29/2012 7:45 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Moot- My light is hanging from the ceiling at about 6 1/2 ft from the floor. It is not quite in the center of the coop, more toward the side with my nest boxes and roost. I hung it there to prevent the eggs from freezing. Not sure of the brand but we are hoping to have some in stock soon.
11/29/2012 2:58 PM report abuse

Moot
Thank you. I am having trouble finding a thermostatically controlled switch.
11/30/2012 6:38 AM report abuse

Moot
Thought I'd give an update in case it may be helpful.
Just purchased the Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet. Advertised to turn on at 35° and off at 45°. I'll post review after I get them and test.
12/1/2012 5:41 AM report abuse
SUSANH
Portola, CA
I have resisted heating the coop since the ladies started laying. They are cold hardy birds and have done fine so far in low temps-12 degrees the other morning. I give them a little warm oatmeal to jump start their body heat.
12/17/2012 7:57 AM report abuse
MAGGIE OR SPENCERR
Score: 11
MMH - A friend of mine is a Poultry Major from Texas A&M, but she had an argument against the red light, because it messes with the chickens vision. She even said it blinds them, and red lights are mostly used during slaughter. I did purchase a white 250W bulb, but I also bought some baby cakes and have some fresh grass in there also. Only planning on using the heat lamp for a few weeks anyways.
6/22/2013 10:12 PM report abuse
DEB
Score: 0
I use a brooder light and wrap a piece of alum flashing over the (flange or bowl)covering the bulb bending it at the corners to diffuse the light. Very little light escapes but puts out the heat. Then I hang it about 18 inches from the floor higher for turkeys so birds can walk under it without touching it. Plug it into your thermostat control. I use black lights without the flashing but they are getting hard to find.
7/24/2014 11:43 PM report abuse
FRANK1
Score: 0
I have used a 250 watt red heat bulb all winter. We had some really cold nights with wind chills in the -20 to-30 range and actual temps around 0. My chickens are doing well and don't appear to have any sight issues.
3/6/2015 9:51 AM report abuse