Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Homesteading -> Best Dual Purpose Birds

Topic: Best Dual Purpose Birds (12 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Best Dual Purpose Birds (12 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
TERIC
Score: 3
My husband and I have a one-acre place in Boise, Idaho and would like birds for meat and eggs. We'd like them to actively eat bugs, stir up the soil, and eat our garden scraps (not that I've met a bird who would turn that down!). We're considering Rhode Island Reds (primarily for eggs) and Dorkings (decent for meat). Any other suggestions?
12/30/2012 10:43 PM report abuse
KARLAG
I recommend the Dorking breed for both. Roosters are nice and don't attack and they give nice eggs and meat. Great all-around bird.
3/13/2013 10:19 PM report abuse
TINAC
Score: 160
are you looking for a breed that will do both meat and eggs well? --- any of the rocks, rhode island red... maybe new hampshire red... i was thinking of getting some red rangers and trying them this year for eggs and meat.... not sure though
4/13/2013 5:59 PM report abuse
MAGGIE OR SPENCERR
Score: 11
Rhode Island Reds are great dual purpose. You could always try some Cornish Game Hens since they're small. From what I've read the Jumbo Cornish X Rocks take 6-8 weeks to finish.
I also purchased some light brahmas for meat purposes.
6/22/2013 9:29 PM report abuse
TERIC
Thank you all for the suggestions. We raised a bunch of Rhode Island Reds for meat this year. I just had them processed and they look great!

A pullet is also laying a big egg at just over four months old.

I was especially pleased since I pulled them off expensive high protein feed in early June and finished them on COB and goat milk.

They also ran around fighting so much in a big electronet fence that I thought the meat would be nonexistent.

I think I'll try Dorkings next. I'd like a calmer bird. :-)
7/17/2013 4:58 PM report abuse
MAGGIE OR SPENCERR
Score: 11
Our Americanas seem to be the instigators in our group. The Americanas and Light Brahmas. We only purchased 4 Americanas and the Light Brahmas will be in the freezer in a few months. Hoping the aggression calms down then.
The baby cakes do seem to help, but not as much as fresh grass. Ours just turned 3 weeks and are finally taking an interest in the cakes. SO hoping I get my monies worth out of those.
7/17/2013 5:25 PM report abuse
WADEF
Score: 4
wyandottes would be a good choice in my opinion.
8/15/2013 7:31 AM report abuse
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Score: 4
Slate, WV
How do you get the toughness out of the R.I.R. I slaughtered a bird last year and prior to cooking; I let it stay in the fridge for two days changing out the water twice a day.

I oven cooked the bird @325* and when the bird was done, the skin was like shoe leather and the meat to tough to chew.

I eventually put this bird in a pot and decided to make a chicken soup. 3 days of boiling down to get the meat tender and to render a decent meal.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Slate WV
2/21/2014 4:24 AM report abuse
ODISB
Score: 10
Pleasant Hollow Farm, I ran into the same problem only didn't have the will to boil mine after baking. I think this breed is a layer and not very good for eating. Will stick with the white rocks for frying.
Post edited by ODISB 2/22/2014 9:18 PM
2/22/2014 9:17 PM report abuse
TINAC
Score: 160
for getting the toughness/stringiness out of home grown chickens - you soak them in a brine of 1 cup salt to 2 1/2 gallons water and leave them in there for about a week in a cool place (like a root cellar or fridge)
2/23/2014 10:12 AM report abuse
HERMANH
The Red Rangers are my favorite dual purpose chicken.
3/5/2014 10:46 AM report abuse
HARDINW
Score: 1
I'm thinking about barred rocks and turkens because of their cold tolerance.
12/11/2014 12:28 PM report abuse