Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Alaska -> Good Egg Producing Breeds for Alaska?

Topic: Good Egg Producing Breeds for Alaska? (9 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Good Egg Producing Breeds for Alaska? (9 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
WILLIAM7
Score: 3
FAIRBANKS, AK
We only have experience with barred rocks and black stars and have experienced good winter egg production (nearly an egg per bird per day).

What other breeds have others had success with up here? We're in Fairbanks.
Post edited by WILLIAM7 1/30/2013 8:35 AM
1/25/2013 9:45 AM report abuse
CHRISTIANT
Score: 4
id use a heavy featherd goose
1/29/2013 12:08 PM report abuse
HILLARYJ
Score: 1
when i lived in fairbanks i had brahmas,silver phoenix and some barn yard mixes i hatched.. im in wasilla now and have a variety of everything,provide some heat and lights and most should do good..
2/18/2013 3:27 AM report abuse
TINAC
Score: 160
barred rock, black star, red star, rhode island red, brahmas -- all lay well --- but the reds and barred rock do better for the winter ... the black star - loose toes.. and the brahmas don't winter over as well --- ( we had an inulated coop and heat and all - but winters are just so harsh or so long)
4/13/2013 3:04 PM report abuse
MAGGIE OR SPENCERR
Score: 11
HilaryJ - have you tried Black Australorps? We're planning on moving to Alaska in a few years, from the minimal breed research I've done. I was planning on trying them.
Also have you ordered from MMH and was shipping smooth all the way to AK?
6/22/2013 9:32 PM report abuse
WILLIAM7
FAIRBANKS, AK
Hilary J. I have not black australorps, but saw some this spring at our local feed store. May try a few next year. I have gone in on several Cornish X orders from mcmurray. No problems.
6/23/2013 8:22 AM report abuse

JANIS S
TALKEETNA, AK
1st time Chicken Mom .... 26 mixed heavy breeds. Also have 1 King Charles and 2 Pitbulls that are fascinated with them.
Hilary J, in answer to your question about MMH. My answer is YES we had a very smooth experience. Chicks got here healthy and in 3 days, we didn't lose any out of the 26 babies. I would suggest that you let your Post Office know so you can get them ASAP.
9/30/2014 4:11 PM report abuse
CHARLENEC
I am in Anchorage and have had good luck with the shipping chicks from MMH. We have much milder winters than Fairbanks, we have a heated insulated coop. I have had Black Australorps, Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpingtons, Araucana/Americana, Columbian Wyandotte, New Hampshire Reds, Meat birds, I am now going to try the Whiting True Blue,White Rock,and Dark Brahma.
5/12/2016 5:03 PM report abuse
RONDAB
Score: 0
I am in Palmer AK and have chickens for the first time. Do you recommend putting in a water heating unit for the coop? My coop is insulated with ventilation.
8/31/2016 11:55 PM report abuse