Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Turkeys -> female wild turkey safety

Topic: female wild turkey safety (2 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
female wild turkey safety (2 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
CAROLL
Score: 7
I have had wild turkeys for 4 years. The boys all stay close and are quite tame. The girls are fine until they hide eggs and then predators get them. Any ideas? I can't get the girls to sit on eggs inside the enclosure and they are very good at hiding eggs where I can't find them. l
3/19/2013 11:58 AM report abuse
ELENAC
Score: 2
I can only imagine how bad wild turkey hens will be when it comes to hiding eggs. I have a few broad-breasted bronze turkeys, my first experience, they are supposed to be the heaviest and with the fewest remaining natural instincts compared to other types of turkeys, and yet, they give me quite a chase when they hide their eggs. Even after they find a nest of their choice, I have to put a fake nest egg in it, to keep them coming back to it. If that fake egg disappears and they find an empty nest (like when my dogs stole and buried the nest eggs), they would leave that nest and will go far and wide to look for another. If I try to quietly follow them, they are better at detecting me than I am at detecting them, so they will keep walking until I lose them. They have been quite a challenge lol.
1/12/2016 10:46 AM report abuse