Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Feed -> Growing feed for chickens

Topic: Growing feed for chickens (9 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Growing feed for chickens (9 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
SUSANT
Score: 2
Is there anyone out there that is raising feed for their chickens? I live in NH and have ordered: millet, grain sorghum, amarnth, sunflowers and dent corn. These, along with squash,etc. from my garden, will supplement the feed I get from the feed store. Anyone have any other suggestions?
3/21/2013 9:29 AM report abuse

CARL H.
Score: 9
carljuniordad@yahoo.com
TEMECULA, CA
New to chickens. Getting first chicks the end of May. Any advice appreciated. Will need chicken sitter to look in on kids, most weekends.
great question......would like to hear replies to this!
5/5/2013 12:40 PM report abuse
TINAC
Score: 160
they love anything fresh --- you can plant an extra row of most vegetables for the chickens --- sometimes they do better if you cook (or slightly cook some things like beets) - I think it kind of depends on the chicken - -we had some that ate the chives -- and some that would not etc... they love barley, and oats sprouted too -- and any of the bird feed you can grow and give them fresh
Post edited by TINAC 5/5/2013 1:42 PM
5/5/2013 1:42 PM report abuse
TimR
Score: 92
We grind our own home raised corn and oats to feed to our chickens. Add in some soybean meal and chicken mineral and we're good to go. Much better than the stuff from the feed store. Plus we feed them the table scraps and other stuff from the garden.

I'd like to give them my wife's entire crop of zucchini, but that's a whole nother story.
Post edited by TimR 5/5/2013 9:48 PM
5/5/2013 9:46 PM report abuse
TimR
Score: 92
Post deleted by TimR 5/5/2013 9:47 PM 5/5/2013 9:46 PM report abuse
JEREMYB
Score: 0
I toss leftover salad out for by Barred Rocks, they never seem to touch it. but they always make an attempt to get in my garden when I'm in there.
7/11/2014 6:11 AM report abuse
JERALDW
Score: 1
Try growing barley fodder very easy and fast. Look it up you can grow it in the house all year long.
9/9/2014 6:17 AM report abuse
SUSANT
Score: 2
We started sprouting barley last winter. The birds love it!
9/9/2014 6:26 AM report abuse
BILLY8
Score: 0
I've had chickens most of my life worked on farms growing up haul stuff for local farmers now raise my own garden let my chickens run loose when I'm home they don't hardly bother garden occasionally pluck a leaf or two they will eat some of what I give them in pen along with feed but they rather have bugs my local supply store has flock blocks which they like
9/2/2017 5:46 AM report abuse