Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> Chicks are dying

Topic: Chicks are dying (7 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Chicks are dying (7 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
ERIK1
Score: 1
Just received our baby chicks today. 1 came dead and 3 have died today and I think one more is about to die. We are new to this. Help!
3/26/2013 8:49 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
You could try putting some honey in it's mouth. That will help perk it up and make it thirsty. Please contact our customer service so we can credit you for the losses too.
3/27/2013 8:40 AM report abuse
MELISSA3
Score: 6
I have noticed that when you first get your chicks, DO NOT FEED THEM! Not right away. Give them water for the first 12 hours to clean them out. Then you can feed them. I learned this the hard way. Also if you ever get turkey babies, first water, second leafy greens like weeds chopped up fine then last, turkey feed. This keeps their bottoms clear of hardening. Finally, if any chicks do have hard bottoms, warm water and a Q tip works great. Good luck with your chicks. MG
3/28/2013 7:45 AM report abuse
KOREENW
Score: 2
This is my first time trying to raise baby chickens, so I was nervous about shipping them to Utah & waited until April 15 to get 31 of them. Wouldn't you know, woke up this morning to 2 inches of snow. I called the post office at 6:30 in the morning and they were there, so i picked them up as soon as I could. 3 black silkies were D.O.A., and one white polish died soon after. 2 more polish chicks are very lethargic and not looking so good. I'm trying the honey tip. So far they are still alive - crossing my fingers and hoping they make it. I'm think the chicks just got too chilled during shipping. Any more tips?
4/16/2013 2:20 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Keeping them warm is most important so be sure to use a 250 watt red heat bulb. The honey works best but you can also mix some sugar in the water or the quik chik vitamin supplement. Please let us know how they are doing now.
4/16/2013 8:29 AM report abuse
KOREENW
Score: 2
Thank you, the honey tip did seem to work for the 2 lethargic chicks. I put the chicks under red heat lamps as soon as they arrived, and tried putting the honey in their beaks whick they would lick, but still wouldn't get up to drink, so i periodically dipped their beaks in the water and they would lick up the water off their beaks. I did this frequently for several hours. I also tried giving them water with a dropper, but it just looked like they wouldn't swallow & I was afraid they would aspirate, so dipping their beaks worked better for me. I did put the quick chick & sugar in the water & followed the directions in the catalog.
Thank you to McMurray, I was in such a hurry to put them under heat lamps when they arrived that I didn't count the chicks until today. McMurray must have put in 2 extra Silkies, because I'm only down 1 silkie & 1 polish chick despite the 4 dead chicks. So 2 of the ones that died happened to be the ones that you gave me extra of. The 2 lethargic chicks are running around today & all are now doing fine. Thank you for the advice to a newbie.
4/17/2013 6:00 PM report abuse
SHANNON24
Score: 0
I received 24 chicks and lost 5. I spoke with a representative and they credited my account. It's sad to lose a sweet baby chick, but it happens. Thank you MM for taking care of the situation.
6/12/2017 10:31 AM report abuse