Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Bantams -> First Time Ever

Topic: First Time Ever (5 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
First Time Ever (5 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
MARSHAM
Score: 1
My husband and I recently bought a farm and I wanted to get some chickens since we use about 4 dozen eggs in one week. We live in northern PA on a windy hill. Can anyone suggest a good chicken for a first timer who knows nothing about chickens?
4/14/2013 2:55 PM report abuse
GUYE
Score: 19
Read the Murray McMurray catalog. You need to select the based on temperament, egg production and the climate. If you plan on eating the chicken itself, then you need to select a breed best suited for that purpose. Size can make a difference too depending on how many you want and how big your coop is. As one of the books I read said "chickens are easy to raise, humans make it complicated." Also, you may want to start with pullets instead of chicks the first time around.
4/15/2013 7:33 AM report abuse

WalkerC
Score: 22
CAMBRIDGE, WI
I have 20 acres in rural Cambridge where I hobby farm. I have chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, cats, dogs, goats, a horse and a miniature donkey.
I agree 100% with Guy. That being said I'll put a plug in for the Buff Orpington. Absolutely wonderful temperament, both the hens and the roosters. They are a great dual purpose bird. And their production of eggs is steady.
Post edited by WalkerC 4/15/2013 9:13 AM
4/15/2013 9:13 AM report abuse
GUYE
Score: 19
I just read about an iPhone app to help you select chickens. It is called "Pickin Chicken" It cost &2.99 in the app store. I didn't try it, but if anyone does, let us know how it works.
Post edited by GUYE 4/16/2013 9:54 AM
4/16/2013 9:53 AM report abuse
TINAC
Score: 160
i don't know anything about bantams --- MMH has a thing here on the site - on the top right corner - it says *chick selector* --- it is a great thing - you can put in characteristics that you think are important to you and it tells you what chickens work well --- some for heat tolerance - some for cold tolerance etc...
4/17/2013 7:30 AM report abuse