Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> Chicks with no Feathers on there Back!

Topic: Chicks with no Feathers on there Back! (4 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Chicks with no Feathers on there Back! (4 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
BENS
Score: 4
I have 40 chicks that are 5 weeks old now and 3 of then are siler polish. They are the ones, the only ones, that are picking there own feathers out of the back and tail area. WHY????
4/16/2013 8:16 PM report abuse
TINAC
Score: 160
does your brooder have a bright light on all the time? try a red lamp --- the bright light might be causing them to peck
4/17/2013 7:33 AM report abuse
MELISSAH
Score: 1
I have 27 Turken chicks a week old and a red bulb for heat. They have tons of space. Everyone seems happy and healthy even the 1 chick of all my chicks who is picking it's own feathers everywhere but her wings. I have sat for hours watching (and trying to distract her) from doing this. None of the other birds are picking on her, she's doing it herself.

I have inspected her carefully for signs of sores or any kind of skin damage, rash or other irritation. There is none I can see. She seems to do do it before going to sleep. She grooms a bit around her wings perfectly normally, then begins plucking usually under her wings or on her chest. Then goes to sleep.

I'm totally at a loss. This isn't my first batch of chicks. I've just never had this issue before. I am considering a home made Elizabethan collar of some sort as I'm almost convinced it's a habit she's developed like human nail biting.

If anyone has encountered and found a cause/cure for this I'd welcome any advice.
6/8/2013 7:32 AM report abuse
NANCYD
Score: 13
Is it possible they have mites and are irritated or itchy? Look under their wings with a flashlight after dark. Try to get some FOOD GRADE (Codex) diatomaceous earth and pour it in a shallow dry depression in their coop or run. They'll likely use it to take a dust bath, and it will kill any mites. If they don't take a dust bath in it, just sprinkle them with it (put some in an old sock or use a baby powder bottle) Also dust the coop, nest boxes, perches, etc. I use a flour sifter to put a bit in their shavings, starting from day 1. Avoid breathing it in (wear a mask or bandana over your mouth/nose). It is not poisonous and works like microscopic sharp edges that slice into insects and dry them up. (It dries up poop in the shavings, too!) I also put some in their feed (1 or 2% by weight), and flies will not land on the chicken poop. Great fly control.
Post edited by NANCYD 7/24/2013 2:11 PM
7/24/2013 2:10 PM report abuse