Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Coops -> Old hen house

Topic: Old hen house (4 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Old hen house (4 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
Anne
Score: 2
We are moving really soon and our new place had a old hen house on it. I looks like it only needs a little fixing and it should work great. But I don't know how long it has been since chickens last lived in it, or what the health of the chickens were. It has just a dirt floor and walls of metal and wood. And old wooden nest boxes too. Is there any way I can clean it up were I know it is safe for my chickens? with moving we don't really have the extra money right now to build a new one so if we could safely clean this chicken house up that would really help.
4/21/2013 6:20 PM report abuse
THERESA1
Score: 2
WILMONT, MN
I am in the same situation but using previous dog area in an old barn with who knows what other animals lived previously. I hope someone will respond. I hate to use chemicals if not necessary.
4/21/2013 6:38 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Bleach works the best. It will disinfect the entire area, even the floor. But you want to be sure it is dry before you put any birds in. I always use barn lime on the floor of my coop and cover it with a thick layer of pine shavings. Theresa- I understand you not wanting to use chemicals, but if you don't know what was raised in the pen it would be a good idea to do a thorough cleaning the first time before the birds are put in.
4/22/2013 9:05 AM report abuse
TINAC
Score: 160
bleach! i would also use bleach i i was worried about other critters and what they may have had
- i think i would also scrape the dirt - (rake it up like) and take a layer off the top --- then add straw or whatever you use for shavings... and it should be good to go
4/22/2013 11:49 AM report abuse