Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Coops -> changing bedding / flooring etc

Topic: changing bedding / flooring etc (6 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
changing bedding / flooring etc (6 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
TINAC
Score: 160
how often do you change the bedding? and what do you use?
4/28/2013 5:11 PM report abuse
GUYE
Score: 19
I clean up twice a week at least. Don't always change all the bedding, but do refresh. It depends on how much poo is there. (Yuk!) I am using wood chips. I read that straw will get moldy
4/30/2013 9:45 AM report abuse
JAMES67
Score: 4
For those with gardens:remember this output from your coop is EXCELLENT feed for your plants.

Normally I let my "doctored" wood chips become compost in a box near my garden. I use 4 shipping pallets wired together as my compost box.
5/27/2014 10:15 AM report abuse
FLOYDW
Score: 9
It is important to keep coops clean in the winter when it is wet and the Amonia is higher. You don't wnat them to have pneumonia or any of the number of respiratory problems. When we clean out to the ground we add lime to the ground this seems to help with the Amonia smell. Also helps to keep things smelling fresh for a longer period of time, we always lime every seasonal change.
Also remember to leave a little of your litter in the coup . If we are cleaning out tho the ground in by keeping a five gallon bucket full of the real dry litter to add back will keep the bacterial process of the litter going, Add this back on top of your shavings, it is like setting up a new aquarium and you want the beneficial bacteria to be there. This is also important to the Heath of your chickens, by allowing this process you will not have as many problems with the Amonia or litter smell. Some advise new chicken owners to get a little litter from the person they are buying chickens from to get the bacterial process going.faster in your chicken area! We have always started out slow and let the process form naturally. I wouldn't want to expose baby chicks to posibly something in the litter. But if you are buying grown pullets then I can see getting a sample of litter from where they were staying.
The large scale chicken farmers ony clean out once a year . That is why they have a horible smell most of the time!
If your chickens are in Coop with a solid bottom for the wet months you can use cardboard under your shavings to help absorb some of the moisture.
When the weather is bad you can't always get out and clean the coop. So the cardboard will help , but first chance get out there and clean that coop.
Never use CAT litter for a bedding for your chickens.
Sand is an alternative , cat litter does work well in the pans of cages with wire bottoms, it does keep the are fresh and dry longer, But what Cat litter is made of is not health for chickens to eat,
A Clean Coop makes a Healthy Chicken!
3/12/2015 10:20 AM report abuse
JAN2
Score: 0
The surface in the outside enclosed run is dirt - is this ok? It has a roof but seems to stay wet after a rain - the inside of my coop is dry with wood chips, Im concerned about this outside area
6/12/2015 9:56 AM report abuse
MARK73
Score: 3
I agree that a clean coop is important, however I do not recommend bringing possible disease or invertebrate vectors (Insects like mites & lice) or possible disease home by inoculating the litter with someones used litter. I have used, for 40 years, chips or straw, mostly straw, (not hay)to which I add fresh material to the top, stirring the litter occasionally as well. I clean out to the floor about twice per year and compost the used litter. Great fertilizer! If I had a tiny coop I may of cleaned more often. Keep the litter fairly deep and loose (about 6inches or more). The chickens will compact it , so fluff the top portion of it with a tined mulch fork or similar occasionally, then add fresh material on top of that, up to a foot thick(aprox). Wear a dust mask!! I do not worry too much about my covered run area (it is about 8feetx24feet)They like to take dust baths there. When I am home and can keep an eye /ear on things I let them run in two grassy areas enclosed by fencing adjacent to the runs. I made them long and narrow (to discourage plentiful flying predators on my farm)They are about 12 feet wide by 60 feet long with a couple strands of wire with fluttering tape strung across them spaced about 15 feet from either end and on poles that hold the wire about 7 &1/2 fee high. The covered run is covered with both poultry wire and welded yard fence wire and or 2"x4" horse fencing (the stronger wire keeps Raccoons and coyotes/stray dogs out who can tear open chicken wire and even welded wire) that is buried 6 inches deep and then 1 foot out in a narrow trench (L shaped).I have never lost a bird to a predator in 40 years.
Post edited by MARK73 9/29/2016 2:51 PM
9/28/2016 2:25 PM report abuse