Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Coops -> getting ready to build

Topic: getting ready to build (8 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
getting ready to build (8 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
RALPHS
Score: 14
I have all my supplies for a coop I am building I need to know how many layers of wire I should places on the ground and how far I should bury them apart and how may layers I should places on the top.
6/30/2013 8:34 PM report abuse
CAROLE
Score: 10
Doing the same thing. I buried our wire 1 1/2 feer down and 2 feet out. Sure hope that will be sufficient.
9/8/2013 2:33 PM report abuse
CAROLE
Score: 10
After reading some others notes. We put two layers of wire in the ground and on the bottom four feet high. Maybe over kill but we have a lot of coyotes, raccoons and weasels.
9/19/2013 1:14 PM report abuse
TERRYW
Score: 9
I just purchased close to 30 baby chicks. We are planning our chicken coop design as follows..
10x8 closed in building with a 10x8 shelter attached to the side for outside shade and a 16x16 (or larger) run in front of the coop & shelter. Will this be sufficient? Also, we are considering putting up half walls (closing in the bottom) on the shelter with the top half being poultry wire to allow more flow through ventilation under the shelter. Is that a good idea or should we close in the shelter on all three sides? The sun will rise on the back side of the shelter and set on the open side which is also the side the run is on. That is another reason we are considering half walls for the shelter. The run will be totally closed in with poultry wire. We plan to place the waters & feeders under the shelter. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. All of this will be inside a chain-link fenced in area for open ranging when we are around. Finally, is it necessary to have a wooden floor in the coop or can it have a dirt floor with lots of shavings?
Post edited by TERRYW 2/20/2014 10:43 PM
2/20/2014 10:16 PM report abuse
RALPHS
Score: 14
ok this is what I have found better than burying wire
due to the fact that it will rust away go to your local hardware store and go to the roofing section and look for roofing flange which is the part of the roof where it v going down use that to keep wild life from dig in to the run also a fully grown chickens will need 3x3 square foot for them self's and you will have to take that into consideration that you will have feeder and water and nest boxes in the coop as far as the walls if you have hard freezes you may want to put up full walls and put windows in place of half walls yes and no to the wood flooring it up to you but I have dirt floor in my coop but my coop is 15x11x8 and I have some 46 chickens in my with boxes and feeders and waters. you may have to put down a layer of hay so the chickens have something to scratch or they may get board and pick themselves
2/21/2014 5:47 PM report abuse
TYRONES
Score: 0
Can someone give me advise on building a sufficient coop, to keep raccoons, etc... out
5/18/2015 2:17 PM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
If you have a raccoon problem then you really need to use hardware cloth on your pen instead of poultry wire. Raccoons will reach through poultry wire and try to pull parts of your hens out. Attaching the wire to your wood frame with washers and screws is also better than using poultry staples. Get good latches for any doors. Raccoons can easily open simple hook latches. In addition to building a coop and pen that are secure as I can get them, I have just ordered electric poultry netting so the hens can get out of the pen and walk around the yard.
5/23/2015 5:49 AM report abuse
WCH
Score: 1
I have heard no one mention hawks, If you have large hawks, like red tail hawks. One just caught one of my laying hens in the yard, about 30 feet from my house, killed it and flew off with it. You run a risk when you leave your chickens in the open during the day.
8/28/2015 12:00 AM report abuse