Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Coops -> # of roost feet & sq feet for 18 layers

Topic: # of roost feet & sq feet for 18 layers (2 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
# of roost feet & sq feet for 18 layers (2 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
SUSAN12
Score: 5
I am setting up a coop for 18 Layers. 7'x7'x8'modular plastic suncast Alpine shed.
1- How many 7' roosts do I need? How high? Will I need support in the middle of a 1.5" diameter x 7' roost limb that is fastened on the walls?
2-I have four plastic modular storage bin boxes 12X10X15 that stack. Can I stack them up in a column? Would they need a ladder to get into the boxes?
3-THe birds will be free range in a yard of 120 x 70 and sleep in the coop at night. Can I crowd them with 15 meat chickens for the 6-8 weeks the broilers need to grow? I am really excited, but want them to be happy.
7/24/2013 10:36 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
I would suggest 2 roosting bars in the coop, and set them at different heights. Some birds like to roost higher than others. Have the lowest roost at least 1-2 feet off the ground. It would be a good idea to secure them in the middle to keep the roosts from bowing.
Are you using the plastic bins for the nest boxes? You could use a ladder or have perching bars in front of each box for them to land on before going in the box.
Keep your layers separate from the meat birds. They require different feed and the broilers are very lazy. The layers tend to pick on the broilers.
7/25/2013 11:49 AM report abuse