Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> Chiggers in run

Topic: Chiggers in run (3 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Chiggers in run (3 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
THOMAS16
Score: 2
So, just got my fence up and turned our 5 week old chickens loose. The area I put them was near an old fence row. (Chose the location based on shade from a tree) Anyway while cleaning out the brush I got ate up by chiggers. I thought well chiggers eat bugs so they will eat them too! Then after I had them in there I realized if I can't see them neither can they.

So, I decided to sprinkle diatomaceous earth (food grade) onto the run and in the coop. I'm still concerned about them getting attacked as well. I am putting a old feed pan out tomorrow with sand in it mixed with a little diatomaceous earth. Any other ideas on how to get the pen somewhat pest free without loading it up with chemicals? Thanks in advance.
Post edited by THOMAS16 7/29/2013 8:33 PM
7/29/2013 8:32 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
The DE is your best option for using chemical free. You can spread it around the entire area. We have a spray that may work too. It is made from all natural enzymes used for mites, fleas, lice, and other insects. This would work well for spraying the brush line.
7/30/2013 11:10 AM report abuse
THOMAS16
Score: 2
I added a sand bath. They have yet to use it? Not sure why?
7/31/2013 2:02 PM report abuse